Audio output question

Ralphy1981

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks :hiya:

I have a question regarding audio output.

For the best possible sound output, is HDMI the number 1 choice over digital optical?

I have a PS3 and a Toshiba EP30 both connected to a Sony Home Theatre all in one system via digital optical because my system doesn't have HDMI IN sockets.

Would buying an AMP with 2 HDMI IN sockets and one HDMI OUT socket be my best option?

This way, I would have the PS3 and EP30 connected to the AMP via HDMI and a HDMI cable going from the AMP to my TV?

For the best possible sound output, is HDMI the number 1 choice over digital optical?

Yes for HD sound formats HD DVD/Blu-Ray.

Would buying an AMP with 2 HDMI IN sockets and one HDMI OUT socket be my best option?

Yes, but be careful , just because an amp has HDMI input, doesn't mean it will process audio over HDMI. Some are just switches e.g. Sony 1200. Have a look at Onkyo 605 and above, Sony 910 or Denon 2308 and above.

This way, I would have the PS3 and EP30 connected to the AMP via HDMI and a HDMI cable going from the AMP to my TV?

Yes, selecting the source on the amp will allow you to hear the sound and send the relevant picture to the TV.

Many thanks for the reply.

I won't be buying yet anyway as i'm fairly new to HD and in the past month i've bought a Samsung LE40M87 tv, a PS3, a Toshiba EP30 and a Sony Bravia Home Cinema :D £1750 :eek:

What I plan to do in the future is replace the Sony Home cinema with a decent amp and speakers but for now, it's fine.

What sort of budget should I set for a amp with at least 2 HDMI inputs, speakers and cables?

Impressive deals. One question, what are all the cables that come with those packs for?

Obviously I know what the subwoofer cable is for but why would you need a digital optical and digital cox cable?

And why the 30m speaker cable?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom