Audio Output for Blu-ray

SonicStomp

Hi Guys,

What is the best way of routing audio to my speaker system from my Sony BDP-S550?

Options:

1. BDP is connected to TV (Sony KDL40-5500) via HDMI. TV is connected to AV receiver (Sony STR-DB930) via Optical.

2. BDP connected directly to AV receiver via digital coaxial.

In other words - do I lose any sound quality routing the audio through the TV via HDMI?? Is it better to route direct to AV receiver via digital coax out on BDP?

Any thoughts appreciated....

kingfats

Distinguished Member
In other words - do I lose any sound quality routing the audio through the TV via HDMI?? Is it better to route direct to AV receiver via digital coax out on BDP?

I would have thought so :smashin: HDMI to TV and coaxial from player direct to the amp.
Cheers.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member

If you only connect the player to the TV via HDMI and use optical from the TV to the amp, then you will only get 2 channel PCM output from the BD player as that is all the TV supports. The TV won't accept DD or DTS bitstream over HDMI or then pass that on via optical to the amp.

The optical out on TV's is usually there because in theory it is possible for some types of broadcasts to use DD, and in that instance, the TV would pass that out over optical. However, I'm not aware of any UK broadcasts that use DD on Freeview, so the optical is just a slightly better way to get TV sound through a surround system where something like ProLogic may work if it's a stereo downmix which often it is.

So, I would connect the BD player direct to the amp via optical and keep the TV connected so that you can try prologic on your amp for films you watch on TV to get some surround capability there too.

Ian Dudley

Hi Guys,

What is the best way of routing audio to my speaker system from my Sony BDP-S550?

Options:

1. BDP is connected to TV (Sony KDL40-5500) via HDMI. TV is connected to AV receiver (Sony STR-DB930) via Optical.

2. BDP connected directly to AV receiver via digital coaxial.

As others have said, connect audio direct to the amp and video (HDMI) diect to the TV.

As another option, since the S550 has a multi-channel output, and the DB930 has multi-channel in, get 6x RCA leads and connect them that way as well.

This will let the S550 decode the Hi Def audio and send it at line level to the Sony, which for HD audio sources should give you the highest available quality.

You might want to use the digital out as well, for when you watch normal DVDs with dolby digital or DTS which the 930 can decode, although its a toss up whether the 10 year old amp is going to give better decoding than a brand new BD deck.

Note that for the multi-channel connection you'll need to tweak the audio on the S550 to do bass management, as I'm pretty sure the 930 wont be able to do it. The link below explains more about this, including how to handle bass management

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/H...ng_Multi-Channel_Analog_Outputs_And_Why.shtml

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom