Audio out on HDMI, Optical 5.1 and 2ch Analog all at the same time

toscrawford

Novice Member
I am looking for your help to find an HDMI audio extractor that meets my needs and wants for the most affordable price.

I need an HDMI to Optical 5.1 HDMI 1.4 converter to route sound from my Roku Ultra 2020 to my AVR plus my wife needs the HDMI to carry audio to the TV at the same time.

There are tons of models out there and they generally don't clearly state if the Audio is stripped from the HDMI when it routes to the Optical 5.1.

There are tons of models with a selector where you choose 5.1 Optical, 2ch Analog, or pass-through HDMI. I suspect these will not work because they imply I get to choose one and I need simultaneous audio outputs.

The most flexible units seem to be 1 input to 2 output splitters. I don't need the splitter, but I'll take it if that's the most affordable solution.

Affordable low-price is important. I'd rather throw out a $20 unit and buy a $20 unit with more features a few years from now than spend $60 today on a future proof model.

Shipping time matters as my wife can't use the TV with the hack setup I'm using now due to a non-compliant AVR that can't process a DD+ HDMI signal and no HDMI to Optical converter. If I can't get something inside of a week I'll have to get a temporary unit or hook my Roku 4 back up.

However as long as I'm getting one I'd prefer to get one with a bit of future proofing, roughly in this order:
1) HDMI, Optical 5.1 and 2ch Analog all at the same time - This allows me to connect a headphone or AVR or use the internal TV speakers in any combination I like without having to manually switch something.
2) HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, 4Kx2K @ 60hz, 4:4:4, 10-bit color, 18Gbps - Eventually I'll have a 4k display with these features.
3) Might as well get Arc support, though since I only plan to ever use my Roku Ultra 2020 I don't have a current use case.
4) 7.1 Atmos pass-through, RCA and 3.5mm analog out - Can't afford a new AVR but 7.1 pass-through doesn't seem too much to add.
5) What the heck, why not ask for Bluetooth too? I don't have a working solution for sending sound to my Bluetooth headphones so as to not disturb the wife, but that's probably a separate gadget.

Most affordable:
Amazon productBut it doesn't support HDCP 2.2 for some reason and it will take 1-2 months of shipping. I also haven't confirmed simultaneous audio output on HDMI, Optical 5.1 and 2.0 Analog.

Affordable contender:
Amazon productConfirmed simultaneous Analog and Optical 5.1, assumed HDMI audio, but it doesn't support HDCP 2.2 and it will take 1-2 months of shipping.

Future-proof Contender with HDCP 2.2:
Amazon productBut shipping is 1-2 months out and I haven't confirmed it has simultaneous output on all audio channels.

Fastest Availability Contender plus HDCP 2.3:
Amazon productIf I need future-proof and I need it now, I need to spend a little bit more. If I don't get some good feedback from y'all I think this is the unit I will go with.

Cheapest HDMI 1.4:
Amazon product
Likely won't work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083DDGGZ4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
This unit, like most others, has a switch for 5.1/2.0/Pass-through and I highly doubt any of them will output all three simultaneously.

As you can see I've had a somewhat sleepless night worrying about this and have done what research I can. I'm ready to stop wasting time and buy the $30.90 unit with HDCP 2.3, but since I've asked I'll wait a day to see if anyone has a better solution.

Thanks for reading my rant.sa m\

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom