Audio Out: Headphone jack or iPhone port?

v CJ v

Which is the best option to use for audio out (into an Amp or car stereo)?

Is there a benefit to either, or do both connections offer identical function?

E.g docks on the top of some stereos plug into the bottom of the phone, while your headphones provided with the phone plug into the headphone jack.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
The dock out has much better sound quality because you bypass the headphone amp, which is the weakest part for the iPhones audio system. It also gives you a proper line level for use with external amps.

trailer

Novice Member
The pin outs on the 3GS dock connector differ from earlier versions so make sure the dock/lead is compatible.

trailer

Novice Member
That's only for power though, I believe and was because the older iPod's used higher voltage power inputs. The audio and data output goes to the same pins.

Paul
I went through 3 dock cables (dock connector to 3.5mm) before I could get a peep out of my 3GS. I later found out it was due to the pin outs changing. I'm pretty sure the power connectors were changed too as mentioned above.

JonStatt

I went through 3 dock cables (dock connector to 3.5mm) before I could get a peep out of my 3GS. I later found out it was due to the pin outs changing. I'm pretty sure the power connectors were changed too as mentioned above.
All a bit strange really because I have iPod docks (such as clock radios or boomboxes) that were released prior to the 3GS and they take their sound from the lineout and work just fine. However they won't charge the phone.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
The pin layout for the 30 pin interface has been the same since the 3rd generation iPod's were launched. With that in mind, any correctly wired 30 pin audio interface cable will work with the iPhone, as long as it's designed for 3rd generation or newer iPod's.

It's a different story with video outputs but, that's an authentication issue, not a physical pin placement issue.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom