Audio Optical Cable Splitter?

Tom Elliot

Novice Member
Hey guys,

Firstly this may be the wrong section but it seemed to most relevant in my eyes. I have a 5.1 surround sound system from LG, my old TV had an optical cable port which enabled "true" 5.1 to be used for the television, consoles etc. But my new TV does not have one, so I am using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm in which one end is connected to a red/white extension connected to the DVD player (amp). This setup does not allow individual speakers to output as they should, they only amplify the existing volume. I'm wondering if there is a way I could set this up so each speaker would be unique, or but some sort of splitter etc?

Tom

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm confused, what new TV does not have Optical Audio Out?

Next does your DVD have HDMI out?

Further you call you DVD a DVD Player (amp)? That is going to require some explanation. Is this one of those all in one DVD systems, that has amps and speakers as well as DVD?

I think you need to give us the brand and models of the DVD, all other relevant equipment including the brand and model of the previous TV and the New TV.

In all honesty, your original statement is a bit confused and clutter, could you try an refine your point a bit?

I'm sure there is a solution once we understand the problem.

Steve/bluewizard

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
May just be me but I don't really understand the question. The thread title asks about an optical splitter but you say the TV has no optical, so where does a splitter come in?

What's the make & model of the TV?

What is this 3.5mm cable connected to?

Edit
Not just me then. As above, it seems almost inconceivable that a new TV doesn't have optical out.

Tom Elliot

Novice Member
Hi, sorry for the confusion. The speakers are LG HT902TB and the TV is a Technika M40/57G.

The problem I am having is that the speakers will all play the exact same sound, rather than their own sounds, an example would be if somebody were walking left to right on the screen, I will not hear sound based on where they are, all the speakers will play the same sound at the same volume. The speakers are connected to a DVD player (amp) which is required to be on for them to function, the amp is then connected to the TV via a 3.5mm cable plugged into the TV's headphone socket, and on the amp side the 3.5mm is plugged into a red/white splitter. As for the optical cable, my old Samsung Television had an optical cable port and the speakers worked as advertised.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Your TV appears to have coax digital out so a coax to optical converter like this should do the trick. Dirt cheap & the only poor review is by some numpty who bought the wrong product. Not a recommendation though as I have no direct experience of the product. So it may pay to do a bit of research before buying.

TomScrut

Reviews like that really annoy me. It says exactly what it does in the title. It never says it would work the other way round. Is it a one star review because Amazon didn't say 'WAIT A MINUTE! ARE YOU AN IDIOT?' before they bought it and therefore it's Amazon or the product's fault?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
When you buy at self-contained system like the LG -

LG Unveils Hi-Fi Home Theater System « Akihabara News

It does one thing, and one thing only. You are limited by the inputs available on the LG unit. If you are playing a DVD in the LG unit, then you should have 5.1 sound as all the decoding is done in the LG DVD unit.

Most TVs do not have 5.1 optical or coaxial output. Rather, the sound on the Digital Optical Audio Out of most TVs has been mixed down to 2-channel stereo.

But I'm still confused. You can get 5.1 for DVD watching directly from the LG DVD unit, so are you trying to feed broadcast or cable programming into your LG system? Is that the problem here?

I'm not sure that is going to work. at least not the way you want it to. I suspect any new TV is going to be limited to Stereo out. That's not a choice by the manufacturer's or by the consumers, I suspect that has been forced on them by the people controlling Copyrights. They are so deathly afraid that someone might copy their content, yet, they don't seem to realize that we live in the computer age, copying content in any form is a snap.

Again, I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do. And, not knowing the configuration options on the LG, I suspect the best you can do is 2.0 or possibly 2.1. That said, again, I'm not sure what it is you are trying to do.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom