Audio on Master and Commander

R2 single disc No problem.

grease monkey: where and roughly when did you buy it?

sounds like there might be a dodgy batch around. a couple of ppl on the hitchhikers meridian site have also reported similar problems.

Ordered 2nd April from Sendit.com

Watched mine yesterday but the sound was great but I thought it was hard to tell what they was saying also, and I didn't think there was as much bass in the opening battle as I would have liked.
I might try and turn the bass up a couple of notches and give it another go.

Dave.

dave H, There is serious bass in that film, I heard, no felt it when I went to pick up a sub from smurfin. My setup, whilst very good, couldn't do what smurfins SVS did, his sub is a beast!

The sound is aswome on that film though, especially the use of the surrounds. have top agree with James45 concerning the below deck scenes, awsome effects, the sound engineer must be the best in his field to achieve that.

yes, there is immense dynamic range to this film, my strata bottomed out several times during battle scenes (hence I am selling it and getting something with more power). the detail in the quieter scenes at sea amazed myself and my gf - we both commented, nearly in unison, that we felt like we were on the ship! every creak of the wooden ship could be heard, every movement of the ocean. awesome soundtrack! certainly not lacking in the sub bass department!

I watched the film Saturday and the sound was good though I had not realised there was DTS on it as well.

What part of the DVD do you guys reckon are good examples of:

a) Detail - deck noises perhaps
b) Battle - which particular bit

I'm sure we'll al load it up again to hear these tidbits.

And where would I expect my humble sub (as per setup in my sig details) to fall short?

The review doesn't mention DD EX or DTS ES!

If this really is in DTS ES then it's the first non-flagged disc I have!

My Marantz SR4300 insisted it was in just 5.1 on DD and DTS!

If you're interested in the dynamic range of M and C you might want to take a look at the thread "AV8/P7 Cut-Out" in Arcam forum.I'm not technical but the bofs have measured something on this disc that AV8/P7 combo doesn't like.I've no idea what ramifications might be but I'm suspicious by nature and I have a soft spot for speaker cones.Cheers.

steve1056: what processor/amp do you have? i am on my third disc now, and all three have the same problem.

cheers

Chris

Chris,

I have a Meridian 568.1 and have also tried 3 copies with the same problem. I have also just upgraded my DVD player from a Pioneer 565 to a Denon 2200 and again, the same problem exists on the DTS track. Note that the first two discs I tried were from Sendit.com, while the third disc was from the local Asda.

Next, I'm going to try the disc on my neighbour's system, which is all high end Pioneer. If the problem still exists, I'll let you know as I think this will prove it's a batch problem.

Cheers,
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom