Audio on Master and Commander

Thunder

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard this disc, I know the film isnt great but the opening battle has to be heard to be believed. Even on quieter passages all the channels are alive with the creeking and squeeking ship hull. Straight into my reference demo line up!

Yep, the audio is brilliant. I enjoyed the movie also.

The creaking and groaning of the ship all around is excellent.

...and is also one of the 5 movies made in DD Surround EX this year...though not flagged.

I have to agree about the audio,the first time I watched it I thought the wall behind me was coming down .
Army Bloke most of the movies I have watched lately the display shows it as 6.1 surround or THX Surround EX.....on my Denon A11.
Jim

Originally posted by jimcarney
Army Bloke most of the movies I have watched lately the display shows it as 6.1 surround or THX Surround EX.....on my Denon A11.Jim

Probably because you have the surround back channel switched on in the set up menu...

Watched this the other night Thunder and totally agree, the sound really is amazing. Didnt think a great deal to the film it was alright but am contemplating keeping it just for the reference quality sound track.

Totally agree ,sound is awesome especially the DTS soundtrack.I didn't find the film itself up to much

Another thumbs up here - great sound (loud & the more subtle stuff!) Decent film too & a keeper for me ;)

wonderful sound, especially the DTS es 6.1.

Chard,

Is that DTS ES Matrix or Discrete 6.1 ?

I heard this with smurfins set up. I have to agree it sounded and felt excellent. Definately a demo disk. Only watched a bout 5 minutes.

haven't watched the film yet, but will definatel buy it for the sound alone. I will hopefully make my setup sound as good as Smurfins, or somewhere near it anyway.

Spy

Its DTS ES matrix, but a very good one :) I had to knock it down from my normal -10db to -15db as it was quite loud at the beginning.

yep, ES Matrix, and superb !

I also had to turn my Amp down to -15 ( Pioneer AX10).

Does the one disc edition have DTS?

I cant decide which edition to go for. I want DTS though

Cant see how my question is off topic????

I made a simple query whether the 1 disc edition is DTS or not

It is not off topic, you are talking about the audio :confused:

Anyway. the 1 disc version is just the first disc with the film. So, it does have DTS.

Very good sound but the movie not the same.Maybe I expected somethinmk better.

anyone have a problem with the DTS soundtrack for the first 15 seconds of the movie? on my disc its dropping out a lot, then it settles and is fine for the rest of the film.

No problem on mine.

yep great soundtrack only let down by the dynamic range being so damn big, I kept having to turn it up for dialogue scenes and down for battle scenes, which is always annoying. I loved the below deck scenes where you could hear people walking on deck above, really excellent how they managed that.

Oh and I loved the film.

My R2 single disc version has the same problem on the DTS soundtrack that you describe. Those of you that say you don't have the problem, do you have R1 or R2 discs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom