Audio novice seeking advice on separate set up

bigdaddysokol

Standard Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests I am an audio novice who currently owns a low spec separates package (marantz pm4200, marantz cd6000 and Jamo E800 speakers).
Would like to start upgrading to a 5.1 set-up but, despite checking these forums am unsure as to which direction I should be taking.

Film, tv and gaming would all be utilised by the system, but music would be the main consideration.

My cashflow is pretty loooow :( and so I was hoping to spend around £250ish on a new amp/receiver (If this is the way to go).

Speaker wise, I am unsure on a budget as I don't know what the best option would be. Was looking at the Canton CD range in the powerbuy section but wasn't sure if they are more suitable for home cinema than music??

Wouldn't mind investing in 2nd hand goods if people think this is a good option

Don't want to take the plunge on any equipment until I know what to look for so some knowledgable advice from any AV experts would be greatly received :smashin:

If music is your main consideration, stick to 2-channels. Your money will go a lot further. Divide your budget by 5, 6 or 7 (plus a sub), and compare with dividing by 2 for stereo. Higher quality will be the result, all things considered.

Buying 2nd hand can be great, but be careful. Buying from dealers (ex-demo, or traded stock) is safer. You will usually be able to listen to the item, and maybe get a warranty of some sorts - even if it's only 3 months. Private purchases are a bigger risk.

You probably want to upgrade in segments, one at the time. you can hold on to your Marantz PM4200 and add something like a Yamaha DSP E800 like I did just to keep the upgrade to 5.1 as cheap as possible.I also did that because I did not want to lose my old but really good main amp. Your Marantz was not top of the line, but knowing Marantz it is most likely not a bad amp in it's range.. If you have a DVD player with internal decoders (D.D &DTS) the even cheaper Yamaha DSP E492 is another option. Many other options secondhand around. Just get your list straight what you need. Dolby Digital, DTS digital inputs etc..

Even with second hand one can try to arrange such a deal that you have like week to return the product. Usually a good audition at the sellers home or even better at your home is sufficient. Also investigate the product really well read every bit of online info you can find, just to make sure it is what suits your needs.
I have had a few bad experiences but many more good ones.

Find out more about the Yamaha's if you like by google search and download the manuals at yamaha service online.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom