Audio Networking LAN

Cmarin57

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have my house wired with Cat-5 wires and would like to find an equipment (switch) that is compatible with these wiring, I used to have a legrand On Q that went bad and it’s not longer available, and I would like to use the wiring to use a audio network/computer LAN...Any one has any experience .? Thanks in advance for your help.

Pretty much any switch will do the job unless your audio networking is using Dante or something esoteric. If you are simply streaming audio over the network the switch is transparent and does not affect audio quality.

Have a look for Netgear, Belkin etc. They will all work with Cat5 & Cat6 etc without issue.

Just to be clear you have to differentiate between sending ‘audio’ over your network cables and streaming audio as ‘data’ over the network.

As nosieboy72 says the norm is you connect one or more decoder devices (ZonePlayer) out in each zone connected back to your Network Hub over CAT cable and the zone player pulls data over the network.

Joe

Guys, thank you for the advise, I do have a device in each zone , also a display panel ( see attached pic), where I used to control the music, door bell and front camera. Do I need an amplifier in addition to the switch? Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 1326A6CF-E5AD-41A8-AB32-97E227ABD754.jpeg
    1326A6CF-E5AD-41A8-AB32-97E227ABD754.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 55
  • CE872D5A-618E-4736-943C-4A28D27E9245.jpeg
    CE872D5A-618E-4736-943C-4A28D27E9245.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 46
Just to be clear you have to differentiate between sending ‘audio’ over your network cables and streaming audio as ‘data’ over the network.

As nosieboy72 says the norm is you connect one or more decoder devices (ZonePlayer) out in each zone connected back to your Network Hub over CAT cable and the zone player pulls data over the network.

Joe
Guys, thank you for the advise, I do have a device in each zone , also a display panel ( see attached pic), where I used to control the music, door bell and front camera. Do I need an amplifier in addition to the switch? Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• EC6ADA86-8767-488D-BAE3-F746B2D7A46D.jpeg
    EC6ADA86-8767-488D-BAE3-F746B2D7A46D.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 7A8CF931-8C26-4EED-9F8B-2F05EFC72E97.jpeg
    7A8CF931-8C26-4EED-9F8B-2F05EFC72E97.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 36
I, reluctantly, suspect it is time to ditch that system - or retain it for the ’working’ features and introduce a new wireless music system.

How is your WiFi around the house?

Joe

I, reluctantly, suspect it is time to ditch that system - or retain it for the ’working’ features and introduce a new wireless music system.

How is your WiFi around the house?

Joe
Thank you Joe, when I purchased the house 7 years ago, it came with a Legrand OnQ Lyric system, that Is now obsolete, at the panel I have the internet connection, that I arranged with a modem and router, so the internet ( including WiFi) is working fine, I want to revive the sound system since the whole house is wired.

Looking at the Legrand info, any Netgear switch will work - and should bring your system back to life provided nothing else is missing or faulty.

Without knowing what's installed, it's impossible to say.

It looks like you have the amplified panels, so you will need the control app and input. The system can be fussy about the router, so if this has changed you need to check compatibility.

It's an obsolete system, so you may struggle to get some services working with it, but the input plate should allow you to connect a phone or tablet if installed.

I am looking for a Legrand Audio distribution module model AU1002, any one has it or know where can I get it? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please take your personal email address off. Use the PM system instead. You will need to post an Ad in the Wanted section of the classifieds.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom