Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Audio lead advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stevedowns64, Apr 16, 2003.

1. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panasonic amp sub and speakers which cost £350, would it make much difference if I bought an expensive audio lead to connect to the sub the one I have cost £3 Ive seen one in powerhouse for £15 would the exta money be worth it.
    One more thing should I use the basic speaker cable that came with the system or spent a bit more on high quallity cable,I know my amp and speakers are nothing special so I dont want to spend that much if the end result is minimul. Cheers

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, save your money!!

Someone will no doubt be along soon though to tell you how you can transform your system into high end hifi by the simple addition of a few expensive cables :) :D
    (they have to be expensive mind you, or you won't get the desired effect ;) )

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    I tend to agree with what MikeK said about everybody having a different opinion!

My best advice would be that if you live close to a Richer Sounds then borrow their leads box (free but you will need to leave a deposit) and try several leads to see if you can notice any real change.

Mark.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Its only really worth changing cables on decent seperates systems, and even then the effects of cables are exagerrated by "audiophiles" at times IMO. So just to echo what these dudes have said, I'll say dont bother.

I changed the stock speaker cable from the speakers on my old Kenwood component systems to £2/m cable from Richer Sounds. I cant notice much difference.

Subsequently, I had QED Silver Anniversary @ £4.50/m on my seperates system, and have loaned Chord Odyssey cable at £17/m. There is a difference, but IMO surely isnt worth 4x the price.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence stevedowns64, but if your entire system costs £350 then upgrading cables isn't going to make any difference. As pbirkett says it's only worth doing on high end separates systems.

Even then you have to make allowances for the laws of diminishing returns, which basically means the more you spend the less improvement you get, which is what pbirkett means when he said spending 4x as much on his speaker cables only resulted in a tiny improvement in the sound.

Incidently I was flicking through a Russ Andrews catalogue the other day and noticed they were selling a 6m speaker cable for £8500 (no typo)!!
    HOLY %$&£!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure there's one at £14,000 though...

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Ironfoot, I take it you liked the M51's. Nice speakers arent they?

PS: Apologies for hijack! :p

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

which is what pbirkett means when he said spending 4x as much on his speaker cables only resulted in a tiny improvement in the sound.

Is this a prime example of the suggestive power at work in this whole cable debate? ;)
    He said there was a slight difference - he never mentioned the word improvement. That's been inferred by the fact that the cable was more expensive!
    Had it been cheaper, would this difference become a degradation? :)

9. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help

10. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    In this case, it was an improvement, but it was only slight. When I first plugged it in, my reaction was "WOW", but once I had calmed down, I came to realise it was only slightly better. It had a little bit more detail, and was less grainy. I'd expect that changing to a copper cable (at the same price as the QED) would have got rid of the grain, and as far as I'm concerned, the slight increase in detail is not worth the extra cost.

I believe you are correct when you say that this is the power of suggestion at work. When you first try something like that you want to believe its better, so thats what you hear. Once you calm down, you realise it sounds almost the same as it ever did.

11. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they're excellent. Yet to give them a full workout coz I've been busy. I'll probably post a mini review in these forums soon, along with my comparisons with the B&W 602 S3's which I demoed them with. :smashin: