Audio Lag - New to the Xbox Series X

JB14JP

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm really hoping someone can help me with an audio lag issue I'm having with me new Xbox One Series X when using Dolby Atmos.

My set up: LG C1 with LG SN9YG sounder connected to eARC port, then I have the Xbox connected to HDMI directly into the TV so I can ensure im getting all of the video/picture features.

Setting I'm using...

TV:
DTV Audio Setting = Auto
Match Screen & sound - bypass = off / device delay = 0
HDMI input format = Bitstream
Digital Sound output = Passthrough
eARC = actviated

Xbox series X:
HDMI Audio = Dolby Atmos
Bitstream Format = Bitream
Passthrough = Activated.

The TV setting above are the same for all my HDMI ports and I have no lag issues with any inbuilt apps or any other external inputs, like my cable tv box. It is only with the Xbox and seems to be only with Dolby Atmos. So yeah is this really and Xbox issue with its coding of Atmos, and it best to just stick with Stereo.... or is there anything on my setting above I could change for the xbox input to solve the issue?

Thank You : )

I had sync issues when I first hooked my Xbox up to my CX, eventually found a combination of settings on the Xbox and TV that fixed the issue, will post back tonight once I have double checked.

I had sync issues when I first hooked my Xbox up to my CX, eventually found a combination of settings on the Xbox and TV that fixed the issue, will post back tonight once I have double checked.

Hello, that would be amazing if you don't mind! Thank you so much, look forward to seeing if they work for me : )

Checked my settings and I actually have them the same as you but I am not using eARC and in the Xbox I am only using Dolby Digital.

I'm really hoping someone can help me with an audio lag issue I'm having with me new Xbox One Series X when using Dolby Atmos.

My set up: LG C1 with LG SN9YG sounder connected to eARC port, then I have the Xbox connected to HDMI directly into the TV so I can ensure im getting all of the video/picture features.

Setting I'm using...

TV:
DTV Audio Setting = Auto
eARC = actviated

Xbox series X:
HDMI Audio = Dolby Atmos
Passthrough = Activated.

The TV setting above are the same for all my HDMI ports and I have no lag issues with any inbuilt apps or any other external inputs, like my cable tv box. It is only with the Xbox and seems to be only with Dolby Atmos. So yeah is this really and Xbox issue with its coding of Atmos, and it best to just stick with Stereo.... or is there anything on my setting above I could change for the xbox input to solve the issue?

I have a similar issue, also with a LG oled. Did you find a solution?

Setting I'm using...

TV:
DTV Audio Setting = Auto
eARC = actviated

Xbox series X:
HDMI Audio = Dolby Atmos
Passthrough = Activated.

Just bought this from amazon and it has removed all the lag from highest sound settings, eg atmos/dts on series x, sky q and ps5 sources with lg to lg soundbar atmos surround sound setup. Well happy Amazon product ASIN B09CTB8VJJ

Setting I'm using...

TV:
DTV Audio Setting = Auto
eARC = actviated

Xbox series X:
HDMI Audio = Dolby Atmos
Passthrough = Activated.

I have the same issue with the Samsung Q80T. Postet in this Thread: Xbox Series X Dolby Atmos delay issues

Activating Passthrough in the TV and Xbox Settings only helps for the Xbox Apps having no lag (like Netflix and the Blu-Ray Player app). But the Dolby sound of games still has a significant lag.

Not only Dolby Atmos has a lag, also DD, DTS:X and DTS. But less than Atmos. The Lag ist only absent, if you use Stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed or 7.1 uncompressed. Sadly my TV can't Passthrough uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1, DTS or DTS:X through eARC. The TV only allows Stereo, Dolby Digital and Dolby Atmos (this is a marketing issue, since Dolby doesn't allow it in their license for Samsung TV's). eARC itself is capeble of uncompressed multichannel sound. To use uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 I have to plug the Xbox directly into the AV Receiver. Sadly this causes a corrupted video signal in Halo Infinite. In Halo Infinite I can either have good sound or good video, not both.

The Dolby Atmos lag stays in all my setups I've tested. But I think it is a bit less, if I plug the Xbox directly into the AV. Luckily the Marantz NR1711 has a fully functional 4k/120hz in and output with eARC. But as mentioned above, in Halo Infinite the video signals has an issue, and it gets worse if it goes through the AV. I am very desperate with the situation.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with lg oled and lg atmos soundbar (with rear speakers) - I used an earc extractor (4k dolby atmos compatible) and it completely solved the problem. You pass the audio hdmi earc out from the tv through the extractor and into the hdmi in of your sound bar. This cancelled all lag for Xbox atmos setting, ps5 lpcm and Dolby surround on the sky q box. Well happy!
I used this
PureTools eARC Audio Adapter, Splitter and Extractor - Extracts Dolby Atmos TrueHD DTS-HD from HDMI 2.1 eARC Devices to Older Audio/Video Receiver Amazon product ASIN B09CTB8VJJ

I don't think buying this will help. It has only HDMI 2.0b, but my Xbox, TV, and AV Receiver have HDMI 2.1, wich is better. With this Adapter I can't use 4k with 120Hz, if I plug it in between Xbox and TV. If I plug it in between TV and AVR it will change nothing, because the AVR has already HDMI 2.1. This helps only if your AVR lacks HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1.

I don't think buying this will help. It has only HDMI 2.0b, but my Xbox, TV, and AV Receiver have HDMI 2.1, wich is better. With this Adapter I can't use 4k with 120Hz, if I plug it in between Xbox and TV. If I plug it in between TV and AVR it will change nothing, because the AVR has already HDMI 2.1. This helps only if your AVR lacks HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1.
Nope, just ignore the use with old soundbar/receivers - mine is a 2020 soundbar with 2.1 and earc (it also has 4k pass through but that doesn’t work very well tbh)- the extractor is handling atmos, and hdmi 2.1 out from the tv and it it worked with the hdmi 2.1 in at the soundbar. I think there is an issue processing for splitting earc out in the sound bar (which causes the lag) which it overcomes by splitting at the extracter. You need to use the hdmi in at the receiver in rather than Earc in but I have both in the bar. t may or may not work with your receiver but certainly worth a try give it a try, you can always return if it doesn’t work. I was severely sceptical before I used it but it worked.

Nope, just ignore the use with old soundbar/receivers - mine is a 2020 soundbar with 2.1 and earc (it also has 4k pass through but that doesn’t work very well tbh)- the extractor is handling atmos, and hdmi 2.1 out from the tv and it it worked with the hdmi 2.1 in at the soundbar. I think there is an issue processing for splitting earc out in the sound bar (which causes the lag) which it overcomes by splitting at the extracter. You need to use the hdmi in at the receiver in rather than Earc in but I have both in the bar. t may or may not work with your receiver but certainly worth a try give it a try, you can always return if it doesn’t work. I was severely sceptical before I used it but it worked.
1644998195057.png

Thanks for the Info. I will check, if its possible to buy it from Switzerland. Since we dont't have Amazon here, some articles can't be delivered to Switzerland.

Does this allow 4k@120hz?
Yes your Xsx/ps5 connects directly to the tv so 4k 120 is fine you then run the hdmi cable from you tv to your soundbar and this converts the signal to hdmi without lag - see drawing above - still working like a dream other than a little delay when you first turn on xbox and tv sky uhd ps5 and xsx atmos no lag at all!

Yes your Xsx/ps5 connects directly to the tv so 4k 120 is fine you then run the hdmi cable from you tv to your soundbar and this converts the signal to hdmi without lag - see drawing above - still working like a dream other than a little delay when you first turn on xbox and tv sky uhd ps5 and xsx atmos no lag at all!
Thanks for the reply! I've bought one as my Xbox has started having nearly a second lag with atmos after nearly two years of no issues. Hopef this will sort it!

Yes your Xsx/ps5 connects directly to the tv
Thanks for the reply! I've bought one as my Xbox has started having nearly a second lag with atmos after nearly two years of no issues. Hopef this will sort it!
I had it for ages with lag on atmos so was unusable - this solved it. I really don’t understand why they don’t optimise the sound bars for use with uhd atmos devices. What’s the point otherwise? it annoyed me that I needed to spend a load more on a converter just to use atmos with sky and XSX but there you go, I was pleased when this sorted it mind. Fingers crossed this works for your system. At least you can try and return if it doesn’t!

I don't even have a soundbar! I have a reasonably new receiver, Denon X3500. Having had a quick search seems like it isn't just limited to soundbars!

Is this problem isolated to just soundbars or are people having audio lag with AV Receivers?

I'm weeks from completing a garage conversion into a cinema and was going to use my XSX as my media player to start off with. 50/50 gaming and movies.

I will also be getting some sort of monitor/tv for sweaty games utilizing 120FPs.

Setup for relaxed big screen gaming (4k @60FPs) -
XSX > Denon X6500H > Epson 9400/7.1.4 surround sound.

Setup for sweaty gaming (4k @120FPs ie Halo)
XSX > LG C2 > Denon X6500 > 7.1.4 surround sound.

I didn't realise there has potential to be audio lag :(

Made we worried now :/

Is this problem isolated to just soundbars or are people having audio lag with AV Receivers?

I'm weeks from completing a garage conversion into a cinema and was going to use my XSX as my media player to start off with. 50/50 gaming and movies.

I will also be getting some sort of monitor/tv for sweaty games utilizing 120FPs.

Setup for relaxed big screen gaming (4k @60FPs) -
XSX > Denon X6500H > Epson 9400/7.1.4 surround sound.

Setup for sweaty gaming (4k @120FPs ie Halo)
XSX > LG C2 > Denon X6500 > 7.1.4 surround sound.

I didn't realise there has potential to be audio lag :(

Made we worried now :/
I had significant audio delay (just under a full second) with my XSX, Denon x3500 with my LG C9. Not initially, but it suddenly started happening a few weeks ago. I purchased the Puretools eARC adapter and it fixed the problem. Getting 4k @ 120hz on 5.1.2

I had significant audio delay (just under a full second) with my XSX, Denon x3500 with my LG C9. Not initially, but it suddenly started happening a few weeks ago. I purchased the Puretools eARC adapter and it fixed the problem. Getting 4k @ 120hz on 5.1.2
Thanks. How long were you lag free before the problem occurred? Is there any technical reason for it to start lagging?

Thanks. How long were you lag free before the problem occurred? Is there any technical reason for it to start lagging?
Lag free from November 2020 to the beginning of last month, and started happening without any changes made to any settings. A complete mystery - didn't seem to coincide with any updates to any of the hardware.

Anybody know if Microsoft is working on a fix? All I'm using is stereo uncompressed with the TV speakers and the lag is quite noticeable when changing camera views in Forza for example.

No lag at all when headphone hooked up the the controller. So issue is somewhere along the HDMI chain. Microsoft really needs to find a fix. High time.

Setting I'm using...

TV:
DTV Audio Setting = Auto
eARC = actviated

Xbox series X:
HDMI Audio = Dolby Atmos
Passthrough = Activated.

I think it has to do with the way the Series X encodes/decodes anything in "Dolby". I've experimented to death with all kinds of settings with my TV and console, and the lag will always persist in games and nothing else. Even stereo uncompressed has a slight lag, which of course, increases as you choose any of the surround formats.

I've escalated a ticket with Microsoft - I've been told they are aware of it and working on a fix. Well...more waiting then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom