Audio issues with new Denon AVR-S750H

schlitz

Novice Member
I just recently replaced my cheap 15+ y/o primarily analog Sony home theater with a new Denon AVR-S750H and Monoprice HT35 5.1 speakers. Nothing fancy, but the old system was having some issues, so it was time and I didn't want to break the bank. I'm no audiophile, so it sounds pretty good to me. I did run all new speaker wires.

Current setup:
Denon AVR-S750H
Samsung UN55ES6100 (HDMI from receiver to Input 2 on TV, which is the ARC input, but ARC is disabled on receiver, TV audio via optical to receiver)
Spectrum DVR (HDMI to CBL/SAT on receiver)
Chromecast (third gen, HDMI to MEDIA PLAYER on receiver)

Previously everything was plugged into the TV and the only audio to the old receiver was the optical connection (no HDMI on old receiver). I did NOT experience these problems until I got the new system all set up. Problems:

1) When using the FF function of the DVR to skip commercials, maybe every third or fourth time I FF there is no audio when I go back to play after fast forwarding. Video is fine. The only way I have found to fix this thus far is to change the input on the receiver to something else and then back to CBL/SAT. Audio returns once the receiver switches back to CBL/SAT input. This is starting to get really annoying. Spectrum DVR box was just swapped out about 1.5 years ago.

2) A less annoying issue, but still an annoyance, the audio sometimes cuts out randomly for just a quick second or so while watching live cable. I haven't noticed this with the Chromecast or TV audio (really only used for casting movies from my Windows computer and Amazon Prime Video app built into TV), and I don't have any other inputs to test with. It doesn't always do this, and I've yet to figure out what conditions it most commonly does this with. I'm currently watching Showtime at a moderate volume and it hasn't done this for hours, but a few hours ago I was watching a movie on a different Showtime channel and it happened quite a few times. I know this isn't the greatest information to go off of, but it's just so random, it's difficult to figure out any rhyme or reason to this.

This is the first AVR I've ever owned, so I'm relatively new to letting the receiver control everything. Since none of these issues existed when everything was plugged into the TV, I have to think it's something with the new receiver. I've done a fair amount of searching but not come up with anything really solid, so I figured it would be best to post my specific setup/situation. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I doubt your cable box offers anything greater than Dolby digital so if necessary you may find connecting the DVR to the TV and using the optical from the TV gives just the same sound formats as connecting directly to the amp.

It's more of a workaround than a solution but might be worth holding in reserve if you can't solve it another way.

schlitz

Novice Member
I doubt your cable box offers anything greater than Dolby digital so if necessary you may find connecting the DVR to the TV and using the optical from the TV gives just the same sound formats as connecting directly to the amp.

It's more of a workaround than a solution but might be worth holding in reserve if you can't solve it another way.
I thought of that, but to be honest, I'm just too lazy to run another HDMI cable through the wall up to the TV. Haha. I'm not expecting anything more than Dolby Digital considering I only have a 5.1 setup, but isn't the whole point of these modern AVRs to let them control everything? I suppose I could test by just running an HDMI outside the wall to the TV, but as you said, it's really just a workaround and not a solution. I like solutions. Thanks for the reply, though!

SamH84

Novice Member
Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am trying to find a way to enable 10 CCTV cameras with audio. The CCTV cameras will come with separate microphones which go into a DVR RCA port but most DVRs have a limited amount of RCA ports, how can I increase this? are the specific cables or appliances that can work with a DVR or are there DVRs that have them enabled on all video channels?

schlitz

Novice Member

I am trying to find a way to enable 10 CCTV cameras with audio. The CCTV cameras will come with separate microphones which go into a DVR RCA port but most DVRs have a limited amount of RCA ports, how can I increase this? are the specific cables or appliances that can work with a DVR or are there DVRs that have them enabled on all video channels?
So you realized you were hijacking the thread but did it anyway? Since your question has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my original post, you'll probably have much better luck if you make your own post in the proper forum.

gibbsy

Try posting a definitive question here:

vroomr

Novice Member
On this unit, the instructions for adjusting EQ say
"Front Dolby and Surround Dolby speakers can only be set when 63 Hz/125
Hz/250 Hz/500 Hz/1 kHz." What are they trying to tell us? Those are 5 of the 9 adjustment bands.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom