Question Audio Issues - little AV experience

SayItLouder

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all

So I've managed to put together most of a home cinema. We've redecorated, built seating from reclaimed real cinema chairs, redone the lighting, mounted a projector to the ceiling and so on.

I've currently hooked the xbox up to the projector via a 10m HDMI cable. It all runs fine, the screen is super crisp and the small internal speakers on the projector play sound. All seems well here.

The problem kicks in when the red and white cables 10m go from the projector to the woofer and then out to their respective speakers, (5 - LR, LF, CEN, RF, RR). Rear are by 3m cables with a 2m extension. Cen is 1m, Front speakers are 2m.

I notice if even a 2m extension cable is used, the sound significantly drops in volume. The volume is also greatly reduced just reaching the woofer initially too.

I have tried just cranking up the volume to resolve this, but even maxing out the volume it's not particularly loud, and it results in a loud hum coming from the speakers during any quiet movie scenes. Very off-putting.

The speakers/woofer themselves are being sent back for a few reasons:

1) A dial snapped off (literally snapped) when I was cycling through the options so they seem cheap
2) I probably need better and louder speakers anyway given that even when playing FM radio or just music from a USB they weren't exactly bringing they house down
3) The above problem, as far as I know, could be speaker related - so better speakers are an elimination test and they're going back due to conditions 1 and 2 anyway

Would anyone be able to assist though? Is cable length that big of an issue? Do I need an amp?

Projector HDMI Input - is not usually used as the 'Hub' of a system, the range of audio signals the HDMI Inputs on the Projector will support is likely to be very limited.

Projector Line Output - if you were to use them it should not be a problem using a 10m 2RCA cable.

Loudspeakers - ideally you would want to be using some form of Amp + Speakers rather than a 'desktop' PC audio system.

Room and Room Layout - along with your budget is key to designing a suitable system for you.

Joe

Thanks. This seems to be the common response from a lot of people I'm asking in different places at the moment.

The xbox was never originally intended to be apart of the system, I just tried it out and it worked.

I've decided to make the xbox the hub, and use the fibre port for audio instead. This seems to be a lot easier, as the fibre cable lengths seem less of a factor when put against AV or something.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom