1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio integrity vs bells and whistles

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nunew33, Jun 11, 2002.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dont live near an audio shop with the kit I am after and therefore cannot arrange a demo easily. If I do it will be at some effort to myself and the retailer and I will end up getting the kit of the net anyway. Id rather not waste either party's time.

So at the risk of saying the hifi equivelent of "Does God exist", Is there a discernable difference "TO AN AVERAGE CONSUMER" between Amps of the same build/cost/brand levels?

I am in a Yam (630) vs Marantz (5200) dilemma. On the web in specs alone the Yam has all the bells and whistles but the Marantz seems to get the rave reviews, (Especially where using the Amp for stereo source material is concerned).

Will the audio differences be detectable to me an average consumer or are the differences for the audiophile perfectionist? Im appealing to those who have a similar dilemma. Will it be purely down to personal taste and therefore either choice is valid and the difference marginal or will I be buying one at the risk of hearing the other and being mightily upset?

I will be using it with Mission 77C, 77DS aand 773e setup and Sony 735 DVD.

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the difference will be easy to hear for the average consumer, but this is dependant on the person involved and the used ancillaries. With your kit, you should be able to hear a clear difference. The Yammy will definitely sound brighter than the Marantz, which will have a les obviously "dynamic" sound, but will sound more fluid. Which one is best is purely personal. Both are good units and you can't go wrong with any of these.

Other brands to include could be Denon and Onkyo.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looked at Onkyo and Denon, but have been put off by HW vs SW problems in the price range I am looking at (£400 or under). I dont want to appear rude but what does dynamic and fluid actually mean? Dont get me wrong I can tell the difference between a cheap and pricier amp in terms of clarity, ie when listening to music there is a difference in detail. But what am I listening for if I am looking to judge a system on dynamics and fluidity?

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say more dynamic means livelier, (louder), but less detail, (defenition), and probably less space between the instruments, than the more fluid one...

5. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am sorry for the vague description. A listen to these amps should tell you what you like or not. Never mind the exact descriptions... :)

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice, so dynamism and fluidity are simply extensions to clarity. I have decided to demo, at a store and will compensate them by getting new cabling and a rack from them but not the amp, theres too many bargains on the web!

I suppose they are like PCs and what you need depends what the usage is. Im looking for music and film in a small room (4.5m x 4m with neighbours in close proximity. That means I am looking for stereo clarity and multichannel clarity at relatively low volumes and controlled (!) bass.