1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio input advice please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Bate, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm in the process of putting together a PC for the kids playroom to replace their TV/VCR combo and also.... well be a PC!!

Because of space constraints I've based it on a Shuttle SS51G (P4 2.4Ghz) on board audio, (PC speakers only and only one PCI slot) with a USB Nebula for DTV and I also want to "capture" the SVID output from my AV32R so they can view DVD/Vid/Tivo.

Problem is Audio inputs, there's a 3.5mm stereo input on the Shuttle and I've got a spare Audiophile 2496 but how do I fit everything in and get it talking to each other?

I've also got a spare Hauppauge USB Live and a Pinnacle PCTV Rave, the Svid Capture of the PCTV is better (by far) than the Hauppauge but what do I do about Audio? If I feed the SVId Signal to the PCTV I ca use a 2xPhono to 3.5mm stereo jack to get audio input to the onboard sound on the shuttle but the problem is it's a permanent connection ie when the source is playing the sound is there whether the capture app is running or not. I dont have the same problem with the Nebula so how do I gwet to control audio?

Perfect solution is 3 XP logins, "Watch TV" "Watch Tivo/VCR/DVD" or "Use PC" Ideally I'd like "watch TV" to have audio from the Nebula only, "Watch Tivo etc" to have audio from the tape loop of my AV32R only, and "Use PC" to have system sounds only, how the hell do I get that!!!

PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE Help :( :( :(

Steve

2. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bump

Is it possible to allocate the on-board sound on a per device basis?

Anyone know?

Steve

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Reply deleted. Sorry just re-read your post. I miss understood what you were asking advice on.

4. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could use Girder to launch the various apps: DigiTV, DScaler, Video playback, General computing. Using a Multigroup (like a macro) you can then mute different audio inputs per device.

5. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work for a distributor of Shuttle products here in the UK and coincidentally had a meeting with one of their guys from Tiwan yesterday...
    They are planning to release a lot of input selectors - hardware allowing various TV, Sky etc input devices to the XPC's - so they can be seen as part of the 'digital lifestyle revolution'.
    But......
    None of these will be available in the UK for 3 - 4 months, so I know i'm not helping a huge amount but thought I'd let you know.......

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Resolved the problem, scrapped the Pinnacle card and got a PBTV-100, now I've sorted the audio I've just got to get it to bew recognised by DScaler :confused:

Steve

7. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you still want the muliti-boot option with different hardware and software combos use HyperOS. It allows up to 20 different Windows versions on one computer.

Ideal for testing so if you trash one OS, boot to another, restore the first from either a backup file or direct from a working OS in about 5 mins.