Audio humming problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by UX50, Aug 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. UX50

UX50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies in advance for posting a question about a VCR (remember those !) and more so for posting it here - but my question is technical, and I couldn't find a section dedicated to VCRs.

My question is fairly basic - when I'm playing a VHS tape, there is a considerable humming noise emitted through the audio channel. It's not loud enough to make viewing unbearable, but it's quite noticeable during quiet periods of a movie.

As soon as I press 'Stop' the noise isn't there any more, and it reappears as soon as I press 'Play'. I've tried different external audio leads (which I didn't think would make any difference). And I've re-seated the electrical cables between the main PCB and the audio head inside the VCR. But this made no difference.

It's quite an old JVC, but a good model with specific features that I need for archiving VHS, hence I'd rather get it fixed than try and find an alternative.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for looking...:smashin:

2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    You don't state which model. Some were prone to noisy capstan motors (worn bearings), as you say the sound stops when the VCR stops, it might be mechanical rather than electrical.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    What happens if you press pause?

5. UX50

UX50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for the delay in replying...

The model is a JVC HR-D158MS

The audio humming stops when the tape is paused. You only hear it when it's playing. So I guess that could indicate some sort of interference from the tape drive motors couldn't it ?

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    There are many other possible causes - That would be an unlikely one.

Importantly - Is this a hi-fi machine... and if so - can you check which audio track do you get this problem on?
    The hifi tracks or the linear audio track?
    Can you switch between the two to see if the effect is on one but not the other.

...and does the problem occur on commercial tapes, self-recorded tapes, or all tapes?

7. UX50

UX50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

There's no mention of the term 'Hifi' anywhere on this VCR. It is about 25 years old after all !

So does this mean it only reads from the linear audio track ?

The rear outputs are SCART or 5-pin DIN. I've not checked the audio signal from the 5-pin DIN, but I guess it'll be the same audio channel as the SCART.

So I guess this all confirms that I can't switch between linear audio and hifi ?

Would it be possible for me to try and check this by playing a really old tape that's presumably non-Hifi audio, and a new tape that is Hifi audio, and see if there's a difference. I'm possibly not understanding this, so please excuse my ignorance !