Question Audio Hiccups - Yamaha TSR-5810 and Arris VMS1100

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bematsma, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bematsma

bematsma
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a TSR-5810 from Costco as they are getting rid of their stock. I'm generally pretty happy with it, but I'm having problems with audio from my Verizon Fios set top box, an Arris VMS1100. Randomly but regularly, say every 10 minutes or so, there will be a hiccup in the sound. What I mean is that there will be silent break in the audio for about 1 second. There is no trouble with the video. I've managed to be looking at the receiver when it does this, and the display loses the icons for the volume and individual speakers, which then come back when the audio comes back. I can jump back 10 seconds, and then have no problem with the audio.

Things I have tried:
    * Factory resetting the amp. No success.
    * I read about trouble with cables, so I bought nice new HDMI cables. No success.
    * Audio works just fine with other devices (Roku, Nexus player, Nintendo Switch).
    * I've looked through settings on the receiver and the set top box and everything seems reasonable. I didn't find anything obvious to tweak/change.

If anyone has seen this problem and can suggest a solution, I'd appreciate. Please ask for any more clarifying details that I might be able to provide.

Thanks!!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,558
    HDMI CEC - ensure you have HDMI CEC (Control) disabled on all devices.

HDMI cable - how long are your cables?

Optical - try using an Optical cable between the Source and the AVR.

Joe