audio help, ps3 to a home cinema setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tomp, Nov 27, 2010.

1. tomp

tomp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm having trouble playing my playstation audio through my home cinema set up. I am connecting my ps3 with hdmi into my tv, my tv is connected to my home cinema with optical audio, I can listen to the tv output through the home cinema but not the ps3.

Should I be able to listen to the ps3 output through the connection to the tv or do I need to connect the ps3 directly to the home cinema via an additional optical audio cable?

Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Makes/model numbers would help. It certainly sounds like you will need to connect up the PS3 directly, so I would change the audio to optical out and ensure it is set to bitstream, which it should be by default. If you only have one optical input, you will need a 3 way manual optical switch and short optical cables. I recommend audiovisualonline for the switch and 0.5m Fisual pro optical cables.

3. mebz

mebz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    You should be able to output PS3 sound over HDMI. Try going into the audio settings on your ps3 and make sure HDMI is selected for sound.

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Can you hear the PS3 audio through the TV's own speakers or not? If so - there should be no reason why the TV can't then pass that audio on to the home cinema. If not, it is probably because the PS3 is outputting digital audio through its HDMI output, which the TV cannot interpret as it doesn't have a Dolby Digital/DTS/high definition audio decoder built into it - and if it can't understand the audio being fed to it, it won't be able to then pass this on via its optical output to a second piece of kit.

As others have said, either connect your PS3 directly to the home cinema if you want to maintain digital audio output from it, or change the PS3 output to PCM stereo alone - which will then send a signal to the TV which the TV can understand, and which it will then be able to pass on (still as stereo only) to the home cinema.