1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio furniture

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tonmeistermat, May 27, 2004.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, I am about to build some furniture for our home studio, and am after some advice... we need the surfaces to be at aboout .65m high, and I'm having trouble sourcing legs that length (they are all either .4 or .71!). Any ideas?

Also, thinking of using double thickness 18mm MDF - I'm not sure if it will be rigid or strong enough... any thoughts?

I'm sorry it's a little off the usual sort of thing on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas!

thanks,

Mat

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ikea do some variable length legs?

3. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate, they are also too long! WIll keep looking....

4. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    had a look on the b&q site and they do some legs although they are the sizes you mentioned above, but carried on looking and they had legs that are used for breakfast bars in kitchen installs. Could you cut the bottom of one of them ? Would that look OK? or do you want something more shapely??

Nathan

5. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Nathan,

Went to B&Q this morning and checked them out properly - it would be possible to chop the bottoms of them, but I suspect it would get messy! There are going to have to be about 25 of them, as the furniture is going to be modular and will need extra support for load bearing... As time passes, the project is getting more and more complicated, and am on the verge of getting a proffessional joiner to help me out... the last thing I want is for the whole lot to collapse and dump all my gear in a heap on the floor! :laugh: Am still looking at options though, so thanks for the thought...

best,

mat

6. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    blimey that must be some studio!! ( will be nice to see some pics - as always). If I have any more useless ideas i`ll let you know :)

Nathan

7. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :) My partner has started working from home (he's a composer and sound designer), and the current home studio doesn't quite have the grunt needed, hence this project... The room is going to double as a 5.1 cinema room once we are done too, so it should rock! As we get going I'll definately start posting some pics...

Mat