audio from us/jap gamecube

D

danny-p

whats the best way to connect my us/jap combi gamecube to my amp to obtain sound?
Round the back of the cube theres power cable and picture cable but no optical out (not sure if the uk version has one).
thanks.............Danny-p

danny-p: Just use the standard cable that came with the Gamecube for audio duties. Connect the audio Left and Right to the amp and enable Pro Logic II (if your amp supports it) and thats it.

Trouble is though you're probably not using the component connections since you haven't stated it so...

You might have to buy a scartbox or buy a cable from Groundy. For the scartbox route buy one that supports RGB and has Audio Out (Argos has one). Connect a scart cable from the box to the TV and then plug in your Gamecube Scart cable into either A, B or C.

Now grab a pair of phono cable (White and Red) and connect that from the new scart box to your amp. Job done.

I think Groundy has a scart cable with the audio L&R attatched... Overall it would be less hassle than the scartbox but then you won't be able to support more than one RGB signal - If you have Sky Digital, DVD player etc then you wouldn't be a ble to make full use of it.

Hope that made sense.. Its a bit early for me <g> Plus Metroid Prime is waiting to be played so I'm out. ^_^

The only problem is that the plasma is six foot high on the wall and il have to track down some cable extenders to extend the audio cables down to the back of the amp.
il be using s-vidoe connection on the plasma so what is the best cable to suit?

From the back of my plasma ive got my dvd player in component, sky in s-video, and is there a cable with audio outs i could use to connect into the composite connection on the back of the plasma??
This would save pullin/swapping cables over all the time.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy ^_^

I'm getting a bad feeling that I'll be called Mr Switchbox.... But IMO its the best route to go if you have multiple connections. First you should pop on the net and look for an RGB scart to component cable so you won't loose any quality unlike S-Video.

Have a look at this product to link up all of your connections and switch between them via remote control.

I'm going for the same product myself for my connections (Component - PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DVD player... RGB - Sky Digital, VCR, Dreamcast).

This baby alone should help ease any connection problems ^_^

Danny,

you could just use your Amp for switching duties. I would not advise using Composite from the Gamecube to Plasma as quality will be poor on such a large screen. Best use S-Video Cable from Gamecube Multi-Out which also has 2 RCA Phono's for Audio L/R. This cable is available from most places as it is the same as an N64 S-Video Cable for example. If you need online addresses of where to get one, just let me know.

Route the Cable to one of your Amp's S-Vid inputs (+ audio). Now, route the Sky Digital S-Vid signal (+ audio) also to your Amp. Check your Amps instructions/connections for more info. Now switch between sources on your Amp.

Or you could go down the switch box route as explained by Neoblade. Your Amp probably has better quality Switching abilities though :).

I would personally use the switchbox and get rid of any S-Video connections. Use the box as a Component switchbox for your Gamecube, Sky Digital (once you have the adapter), DVD player etc etc. Have all of the audio via your amp of course as posted on my initial reply. You could use your receiver if it supports Component switching but if not go for the box... IMO It'll be a waste to use a plasma with anything less than an RGB source or component connections.

I am currently using a manual box like the one listed for my Component duties and will soon be upgrading to that remote controlled one. I haven't noticed a drop in visual quality and that will do me.

Once you have it all set up, you can control what you want to watch via remote (You should check out the Pronto NEO if you haven't already ^_^) and then you can be a true couch potato.

Originally posted by NeoBlade
I would personally use the switchbox and get rid of any S-Video connections. Use the box as a Component switchbox for your Gamecube, Sky Digital (once you have the adapter), DVD player etc etc. Have all of the audio via your amp of course as posted on my initial reply. You could use your receiver if it supports Component switching but if not go for the box... IMO It'll be a waste to use a plasma with anything less than an RGB source or component connections.

Much better idea actually - I don't know what I was thinking. If you can go down the Component route for all sources then go for it. Your Amp does not have Component Video Switching but you may be able to use the Composite/Audio L/R inputs/outputs for Component Switching. I think some people have done this on other Amps before.

Thats what I've done Groundy and I haven't noticed a drop in quality at all ^_^ So far I have my Xbox, Gamecube and DVD player connected via component to my TV with a switchbox... I need a PS2 cable then I'll be sorted.

Well happy plus this thing supports remote switching so theres no need to get up, only if you need a beer <g> BTW This should be my 1000th post ^_^ Was going to save it for more comments on Metroid Prime but alas I have to leave the forums for a few days. Till then mate take it easy and keep on gaming ^_^

thanks for the advice and ive just ordered one of those switch boxes from the link you gave me.
so what cable do i use from the back of the GC to the switch box to enable component use??

cheers.

Official Nintendo Gamecube Component Video Cable, available from the following:

http://www.tronixweb.com

or

http://www.ncsx.com

Both outlets are in the US (the Component cable is not officially available in the UK) but provide a great service. Choose Global Priority Mail (Flat Letter) and you should have the cable within a few days.

cheers groundy,
After you recommended tronix the other day i ordered resi 0, mk5 , and mario s-shine(us) and they kept me up to date on the delivery progress all the way to my door from N.Y.
Within 3 days of ordering i recieved the goods!
Wish i'd ordered the component cable then.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom