Question Audio from TV via Focal Chorus 726

vkatev

Novice Member
Hello,

I have Sony e280 home theater, but want to buy focal chorus 726 floorstanding speakers for better music and video sound. Mainly I'm listening music, watching movies from TV (PC connected to TV or allshare). CD, USB of other media playback features from my home theater are not used. Can I connect focal chorus directly to my home theater and use all speakers (5.1 or even 7.1). Or I should buy some other receiver/amplifier, but as mentioned player possibility is not needed, only the option to play music directly from TV(optical audio) via the new focal speakers. What could be the cheapest way to get high quality sound from focal chorus 726 via TV? Thanks

Last edited:

gibbsy

I would consider that to be a waste of money. The Focals are far far better than what the Sony can drive, if indeed they can drive them at all. You would need a good stereo amp with an onboard DAC or a receiver such as the Denon X range. You cannot play speakers on their own via the optical, it has to be amplified.

With the Focals I would be looking at a Denon AVR X2500. It's a receiver that you could build on if wanting to develop to a 5.1, or higher system and can be used as a HDMI hub. If wanting just a stereo amp then consideration should be given to the Marantz PM6006 which has a good built in DAC and will take an optical output from your TV.

Unfortunately I cannot help with sourcing or pricing in your country.

vkatev

Novice Member
I would consider that to be a waste of money. The Focals are far far better than what the Sony can drive, if indeed they can drive them at all. You would need a good stereo amp with an onboard DAC or a receiver such as the Denon X range. You cannot play speakers on their own via the optical, it has to be amplified.

With the Focals I would be looking at a Denon AVR X2500. It's a receiver that you could build on if wanting to develop to a 5.1, or higher system and can be used as a HDMI hub. If wanting just a stereo amp then consideration should be given to the Marantz PM6006 which has a good built in DAC and will take an optical output from your TV.

Unfortunately I cannot help with sourcing or pricing in your country.
Thanks for reply and advice. Other question - the room is ~40 square meters size. Should't amplifier be at least 150W per channel ?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Thanks for reply and advice. Other question - the room is ~40 square meters size. Should't amplifier be at least 150W per channel ?
The speakers that you are looking at, the Focal Chorus 726, have a sensitivity rating of 91.5db. This means that from 1 metre away, 1 watt will produce a volume of 91.5db. From that you can (very approximately) work out how much power you need to reach the volumes that you want to listen at from your listening distance.

There is a calculator here:

Amplifier, Speaker & SPL Calculator - Geoff the Grey Geek

A couple of things to bear in mind, is that this maths does not take into account reflections, where the sound bounces off of the walls, floor, ceiling, furniture, so, you will need less power to achieve your desired listening volume in a room, than you would if listening outdoors.

Also, there are dynamic peaks mixed into soundtracks. This is where there are quiet bits and loud bits. Sometimes these peaks (eg explosions, shouty vocals, rock guitar) can be 20db or 30db louder than the quiet bits.

gibbsy

Depends on the price, it's a really old model but would still be light years better than the Sony for audio quality. It does have digital optical inputs as far as I can see but does not have HDMI which would severely limit your options if you wished to connect other equipment such as a Play Station or blu ray player.

If you just intend to use it for the TV and for it to drive the new speakers then it's all down to how good it's overall condition is and how much you are going to pay.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I have the older Focal 726v. I use a Marantz SR5010 for surround sound and an Arcam A38 for music.

vkatev

Novice Member
Finally I've taken Marantz SR5013 to try. Impression from the firs look is quite good. Music sounds very nice in low-medium volume, but a bit edgy when volume is 55% or more. Combined these speakers with Focal cube3 subwoofer, in my opinion it sounds really nice :)

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Yeah the Matantz will struggle to control the speakers at higher volumes. It just doesn't have the power control a proper stereo amp has.

vkatev

Novice Member
Is some suround amp which could do that and sounds good with focals floorstandings? E.g. I've heard, that denon does not sound so nice with focals as marantz... Or if the whole surrond system (5.1) would be connected to this marantz- would it go smooth with higher volume?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company. There is little difference in their amps. The biggest difference is Marantz amps are better at music. Besides that, the only real difference is cosmetic.

You'd need to spend around £2000 (new) to get a surround amp that would make the Focal sound their best.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Finally I've taken Marantz SR5013 to try. Impression from the firs look is quite good. Music sounds very nice in low-medium volume, but a bit edgy when volume is 55% or more. Combined these speakers with Focal cube3 subwoofer, in my opinion it sounds really nice :)
You could add a power amp to the system via the pre-outs of the receiver. That might bring about the improvements that you are looking for in better sound at higher volumes.

If you are on a low budget take a look at Behringer A500, Behringer A800, Crown XLS1002, Crown XLS1502. These are pro audio power amps that work well in a home environment. Or, you could use a consumer power amp, prices are higher but used mat be an option.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom