Audio from new receiver sounds hollow and lacks punch...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stevenc1970, Jul 11, 2015.

1. stevenc1970

stevenc1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I moved into a new house and bought a brand new Marantz SR7007 home theatre receiver. I realize it's an AV receiver, but it came with great reviews for audio and for the built-in phone stage pre-amp.

First, the only room I can put this is larger and has high, vaulted ceilings and laminate floors. For a turntable, I have a nice Rega RP6. I have an Ortofon 2MM bronze cartridge. Speakers are Klipsch RP280 speakers.
    With that out of the way, my musical performance from the Marantz is weak at best... Lifeless... No guts, no punch.
    I adjusted input levels, and it sounds hollow. Someone said adding a large floor rug will solve all my problems, but that doesn't make sense to me. Someone told me trash the expensive Rega for BestBuy AudioTechnica. Won't do that.
    My blu-Ray player needs to be turned up to 55-60 to enjoy it even a little (still not good). The turntable needs to be turned up to 70-72 to enjoy it minimally. Tried increasing input levels. Sounds like listening through a setting from my old Sony ES receiver called "church environment". Not great. Can anyone help with settings and suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,216
    Try calibrating the AV receiver using the suplied mic. You say this receiver is new? THe model is about 4 years old now. I'd also suggest you opt to use the relative db scale after calibration is complete so that it is easier to relate to the volume levels and for others to determine whether or not their is an issue with the levels.

3. stevenc1970

stevenc1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's new. Went with the 7007 model because of the drop in price. The 7009, the latest version, adds
    Dolby Atmos, which is nice but the $1200 savings allowed me to upgrade speakers and turntable...

4. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    So you've got a large room with high vaulted ceilings and a laminated floor, and you're getting a church-like sound. Hmm, yes, must be the receiver ;).
    May I suggest you try the system in a room that isn't church-like and see if it still sounds like a church? This would eliminate the room as the problem (or not).

5. stevenc1970

stevenc1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wasn't asking why I was having a Church-like experience. Also wasn't suggesting that the receiver was crappy. I was asking what else I can try with the settings because I assume I can get it to pack a little more punch. So the Calibration idea was a helpful first step. Wondering how else it could make it a bit more powerful to compensate for the large room because I can't really put it anywhere else...

6. Robert Crow

Robert Crow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Calibration is a must. If you listen to music in Stereo, make sure you use a setting that retains the EQ; often there will be a "Pure Direct" mode which will bypass the EQ leaving you with a thin sound.
    The other thing that springs to mind is do you have a sub ? I don't know your speakers, but with my system when I listen in Stereo I always use a 2.1 configuration to provide that extra punch.

7. 01svtL

01svtL
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Run the calibration, and do it right. I ran it the first time from only one postion, and thought it sounded good. Then I ran it correctly with all 6 positions (yours will have 8 positions I think), and it's noticeably better now. Turn DynEQ to high. Turn dyn vol off. If you have no sub, set speakers to large (Audyssey will
    Most likely do that for you).