• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Audio from iMac to TV for Amazon Prime

pjgraham86

Standard Member
Hi all

Hope this is the right forum - bear with me as audio/video tech are not my strong suits (as may be obvious!) !

We have Virgin V6 box connected to our Panasonic Viera TV and a soundbar connected to the TV by HDMI.

Virgin doesn't currently support Amazon Prime Video (which is a joke but there we are) so I have connected our iMac (late 2012) to the TV by thunderbolt cable from Mac to one of the two HDMI ports on the TV (replacing the Virgin box connection).
I can therefore now play Amazon Prime video on the TV but can't get audio even though in System Preferences - Sound - on the Mac I can see the Panasonic is recognised as an output source. The only sound I can get is via the tinny Mac speakers.

Am I missing something obvious to get sound from the soundbar ?

Thanks

PJG

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Step 1 would be to have the iMac (late 2012) sound on the TV via the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter or cable - then configure the TV to Output audio via ARC to the Soundbar ARC.

When using ARC between the TV and the Soundbar you may have to limit the iMac audio Out to 2.0 if the HDMI Input on your TV only supports 2.0 audio.

If ARC does force you to use 2.0 and your Soundbar supports 5.1 and includes an Optical Digital Audio Input you can use the 'headphone' out on the iMac with a suitable cable as an Optical Output to deliver 5.1 to the Soundbar.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom