Audio from DVD recorder is ridiculous quiet - Advice?

brmanuk

Standard Member
Hi all.

I live in Hong Kong nowadays and I recently (today, actually!) bought a 2nd hand dvd HDD recorder, a Hyundai Tibulron TBH-(DW)7326. The unit itself is in great condition, but the audio coming from the unit is ridiculously quiet. I have to turn the TV to it's maximum volume to hear anything, and even then it's not great. I'm trying to get audio using the RCA cables as that's all I can use with my set up. What could be causing this? I've formatted the HDD and I've resorted factory settings and it still isn't sorted. Could the internal amplifier (do they even have one?!) be broken?

Edit - to make thing's weirder, the unit plays CDs at a respectable volume. DVDs and the TV are very quiet.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Broadz

DVDs and the TV are very quiet.

If the TV is very quiet - which presumably is nothing to do with the DVD recorder at all - then perhaps your problem is that your TV volume is turned down too low? Or that your TV is broken?

Admittedly watching a DVD via RCA (stereo only) cables is never a good idea, because anything with more than a stereo soundtrack is being compromised (i.e. a full DD/DTS 5.1 six channel soundtrack is being squeezed into stereo left and right only) whereas CDs will be stereo only in the first place, so you are listening to these using the optimum connection. Try choosing a stereo only soundtrack (DD2.0) on some of your DVDs and see whether that improves matters.

brmanuk

Standard Member
If the TV is very quiet - which presumably is nothing to do with the DVD recorder at all - then perhaps your problem is that your TV volume is turned down too low? Or that your TV is broken?

Admittedly watching a DVD via RCA (stereo only) cables is never a good idea, because anything with more than a stereo soundtrack is being compromised (i.e. a full DD/DTS 5.1 six channel soundtrack is being squeezed into stereo left and right only) whereas CDs will be stereo only in the first place, so you are listening to these using the optimum connection. Try choosing a stereo only soundtrack (DD2.0) on some of your DVDs and see whether that improves matters.

Sorry, I should clarify - the dvd function and the unit's built in TV tuner are quiet...the TV itself is at full volume! Admittedly, CDs are still a bit quiet when playing, just not as quiet as dvds/the TV tuner.

Last edited:

Broadz

Maybe it is just a broken DVDR and that is why the seller wanted rid of it. Hyundai aren't exactly a brand you would associate with consumer electrical goods - at least not in the UK - so I doubt you will find anybody else on here with the same machine to advise whether their's suffers from the same problem or not, and what one person considers quiet another might think sounds too loud.

JH4

Have a look in the menus. You may find there is an audio output setting that you can adjust.
It's not very common, but I have a Satellite receiver that does have this adjustment, so you may just be lucky.

brmanuk

Standard Member
Have a look in the menus. You may find there is an audio output setting that you can adjust.
It's not very common, but I have a Satellite receiver that does have this adjustment, so you may just be lucky.

No such luck, sadly. Ah well, it has since been returned and I got (most of) my money back Hurrah!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom