Audio from ATV2

Wruds69

Standard Member
I am thinking of getting an ATV2, however I want to run the audio through my TeacReference HiFi.
I notice the ATV only has 'toslink' digital out, my HiFi only has phono analogue input.

How can I get audio to play through.

Thanks

Wruds69

Standard Member
I have an AE, can I use this with ATV2 to output analogue sound to my home hi-fi with phono inputs.

sarll

Sorry to hijack your thread Wruds, but I have a similar question which perhaps doesnt warrant opening a new thread.

I have going to get a new apple tv, but I have an HDMI ready receiver. Will the apple tv run audio via HDMI? Or is it picture by HDMI and audio via optical??

Thanks guys!

Matt_C

I can tell you the original ATV outputs audio over HDMI - because I get both video and audio delivered to my TV by HDMI. However, I don't know if it's limited to 2ch stereo only, or 5.1 DD/DTS or if it's PCM, etc...

Matt_C

A quick look on the Apple specs page says

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
So it definitely does DD pass-through (which I know my ATV1 does, though I can only connect to my AVR using optical) but doesn't say if that is over HDMI or not...

sarll

A quick look on the Apple specs page says

So it definitely does DD pass-through (which I know my ATV1 does, though I can only connect to my AVR using optical) but doesn't say if that is over HDMI or not...
Thanks Matt

Im guessing if your ATV1 does I should be fine, so i'll take my chances. It just that I am out of optical inputs on my receiver and wanted to avoid getting an optical splitter if possible.

Again, thanks.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Mine has never been connected with anything else but hdmi. Audio output is just fine.

Somnambulist

Remember the new Apple TV is NOT bit-perfect, unlike 99% of Apple's other products. It does that thing Windows does and automatically upsamples everything to 48hz. Only an issue if you're a) intending to listen to a lot of music and use the optical out b) are anal about these things as an audiophiley type.

Spoonablehippo

Cheers for this link Matt! :thumbsup:
Another hijack, sorry. Just trying to decide what's best for me to get my itunes music to my amp (Marantz PM6003). Probably an Airport Express and a CA DACMagic?
Do i need the DACMagic or will this little adapter do the trick? Will it sound as good etc?

Somnambulist

I think the AE has a DAC but it won't be anywhere near as good as a dedicated one like a DACMagic. AE into DAC into amp into speakers will be a great sounding set up.

Spoonablehippo

I think the AE has a DAC but it won't be anywhere near as good as a dedicated one like a DACMagic. AE into DAC into amp into speakers will be a great sounding set up.
Yes, i'd read that the analogue output of the AE is not that great :(
I'll start saving for a DACmagic then! :smashin:

Somnambulist

Cool. You could always look on the classifieds here for a second hand one. Hifi lovers are particularly susceptible to GAS* and upgraditis, so you'll often find decent stuff getting moved on.

* = Gear Addiction Syndrome

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung and LG squabble over QLED definition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published