audio from 4850 via hdmi or motherboard optical?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by peanutz, Jun 10, 2009.

1. peanutz

peanutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Gigabyte motherboard EP45-UD3P with details as following:

Supports Dolby Home Theater® audio to create a stunning surround sound listening experience.
    Blu-ray playback outputs supported by high quality 106dB SNR ALC889A HD audio
    Realtek ALC889A codec
    High Definition Audio
    2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
    Support for Dolby Home Theater
    Support for S/PDIF In/Out
    Support for CD In

I also have Gigabyte graphic card ATI 4850 which claims that it provides HDMI with 7.1 digital surround audio.

I recently purchased a DVI-HDMI cable to connect my graphic card to the receiver without knowing that going down this track, my new cable wouldn't transmit audio signal and I have to use optical cable to get sound from my motherboard which is fine as I already have an optical cable.

I just know that if I use HDMI cable + DVI-HDMI adaptor that comes with my graphich card to connect my graphic card to the receiver, it will disable audio on motherboard which is fine as it also transmit audio signal from graphic card within one cable.

So... which is the better option?
    1) Audio from motherboard + DVI-HDMI cable + optical cable
    2) Audio from graphic card + DVI-HDMI adapter + HDMI cable

Thanks!

2. CrazyDiamond17

CrazyDiamond17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I setup a similar spec for a friend. The HDMI took its sound signal via an s/pdif connection from the soundcard/motherboard to the videocard. So sound wise, no benefit either way. A benefit will be sound via HDMI means one less cable, so tidier.

Be warned, my friend threw away the s/pdif cable that came with the videocard, as he didn't think it was needed. Obtaining a replacement was a bit of a job!

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    Are you sure it'll disable the motherboard audio? I've got a gigabyte 4850 and once that was set up it just added a second sound device in addition to my X-fi.

As to which is best they're both digital so they're going to carry the same signal, I believe both have limitations on the bandwidth and can't carry very high quality audio streams but I don't know the details.

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    the ati 48xx series cards have an onboard spu capable of 7.1 192khz LPCM. they dont need to be connected to a sound card and should sound significantly better :)