• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Audio format problem

rdt123

hi all

I have a samsung 7100 in the back room and yesterday picked up a Sony XF9000 soundbar. The sound bar supports 4K pass through and dts x etc.

To solve a lip sync issue I have now connected sky q to the hdmi Input on the sound bar , I have sky set to DD+ and all is fine with this

I also have an hdmi from the hdmi arc on the tv to the tv input of the soundbar. The problem is when I go to the audio setting on the tv only pcm is available, DD and DD+ are greyed our even though the sound bar supports those formats and is having no trouble from sky in the other input

Any ideas?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
It sounds like the TV will only pass PCM at present. This could be down to an HDMI setting in either the TV or sound bar. The fact that the other options on the TV are greyed-out suggests that these audio formats may be supported. If in doubt, user guides and/or contacting the manufacturers may be the way to go. Perhaps a Samsung sound bar might be a better bet ...

Clem

next010

Distinguished Member
Samsungs typically have two audio settings in their menu look for "HDMI Audio Input Format" and set it to bitstream then under "Digital Output Audio Format" set it to Dolby.

If all the options under Digital out are greyed then the TV may not support passing Dolby, not all Samsungs have the full suite of Dolby/DTS.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Do you have Source devices connected to the HDMI Input(s) on the TV or is it ‘just’ the TV Tuner and Streaming Apps you will be using via ARC?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom