• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Audio for projector

targetrich

Standard Member
Hi all. I now have a decent projector and I’ve just bought a large screen so I’m set up for the image, but what do I do about sound? I know it sounds daft but I don’t really understand the av world. I have a sonos bar and a Samsung plasma. If I want to watch Greyhound, which I can stream in my laptop, What do I do about sound?
Thanks.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
With you're laptop, what output options do you have? Also what resolution does it output? These are the important ones to answer as not all laptops have the ability to work with projector resolutions

If it has a HDMI output then this will work for the projector, but not the soundbar as it will require an optical output if memory serves me correct. Unfortunately this will cause you a few headaches. There are products like the HDFury can extract the audio and convert it to optical which the Sonos will understand

You could also look on the second hand market for a Roku Ultra 4K box which had both HDMI and Optical outputs (something the newer options do not have) If you have Sky Q, this also has both outputs and depending upon the streaming service you are going to use, it maybe available on it

Sadly, none of these are easy with the Sonos soundbar

You can look to change the soundbar to something similar to the Yamaha which has a single HDMI input an output enabling you to plug the laptop into its input HDMI connection and the projector will plug into its output HDMI connection (do note that it will not work with Sonos products though)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which Laptop, Soundbar, TV and Projector do you have - folk need the model number rather than the Brand?

Any other Sources or just the Laptop?

Are you planning to put the Projection screen in front of the TV and how is it mounted?

Joe

targetrich

Standard Member
Thanks guys - I have a HP Pavilion laptop which has a HDMI output. I could also use my sky + box which has an HDMI output going into the back of my new Samsung plasma. The screen is on a stand which I could put in front of my tv but it’s not ideal - but I guess if I did I could use audio from the tv?

the projector is a crosstour p600. I know nothing of projectors and it was bought on a bit of a whim.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could use that option from the Sky HD+ Box as they and use the optical from it to the soundbar. If you wanted everything to work together, then a HDMI switch would be required enabling you to switch between the TV and Projector whilst keeping the audio running from the Sky box to the soundbar via it's optical connection. As it's a 1080p projector, any half decent HDMI switch should work. If you do however see sparkles in the image, it means the switch of cable is at its limit for the distances being used

targetrich

Standard Member
That’s brilliant really helpful thanks. I don’t think I’ll use the screen much, so I guess I’ll be ok just switching manually. I’m going to set it up now and have a think about the films I want to watch on it!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ensure you power everything Off at the wall before you start to plug or unload HDMI cables - you risk frying connectors if you 'Hot Plug' HDMI.

Rather than an HDMI 'Switch' you would use an HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) if you want everything permanently wired up - that way your Source(s) can be viewed on the TV or Projector plus, with a suitable Switch, utilise HDMI or Optical for audio payback.

Which SONOS soundbar do you have?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom