Audio drops for a split second.

Side order of bacon

Novice Member
Very new to the Home theatre scene.I have a second hand Onkyo TX-NR515 connected to my Samsung 65in 4k via eArc. When watching Netflix, Amazon etc I sometimes have a slight dropout in audio.It happens for literally half a second and returns to normal. I've tried Auto and Pass through on the TV with no luck.PCM is fine but am I correct in assuming this drops the audio to a 2.1 ? My setup is 5.1 running 6ohm speakers. I calibrated and updated the amp's firmware via USB. Am I missing a setting on the amplifier ? The front panel, usually displays ARC, Dolby plus which is probably the best I can get out of the setup.I ran through the Onkyo menu multiple times, but I cannot find anything obvious that i need to change. Any help would be appreciated as this problem, albeit a small issue is quite noticeable when you're waiting for it to happen again through a movie etc.Many thanks everyone for any replies.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Have you googled the problem with Samsung TVs?
Audio dropout - DD+ Q90T is one thread here...

It's also possibly the broadcast data stream at issue?BBC HD had an audio glitch issue that happened every so many frames of picture (X ^ 64) due to an issue with the specific brand of Dolby E units in their broadcast chain. (Long since resolved but... ).

Side order of bacon

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply Rodders53.The tv itself was working fine with audio when connected to my Onkyo TX 608,which decided to give up the ghost on Christmas eve.Just seems strange that another amp of the same brand would create such an issue.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Drip feeding of relevant information is a sure way to get irrelevant answers. ;)

My 515 and Panny Gt60 doesn't drop out like that when I've watched via the Panny Netflix app, or some Plex servers... if that's of any help?

I'll assume you've tried a variety of alternative hdmi leads...

As as the 515 is relatively old you could also use optical between TV and AVR to take hdmi leads and hdmi-cec-arc incompatibilities out of the equation to see if the same occurs.

Side order of bacon

Novice Member
I ordered a high speed 4k HDMI cable and cleaned out the HDMI connections with compressed air.Seems to have done the trick so far,touch wood.Also ordered an Optical cable just in case i need a second option for 5.1 surround sound.Thanks for your help.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Thank you for providing the solution...
Not one I'd have predicted so must file it away for future similar problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom