Audio dropouts....

M

Mr Kardon

Could somebody explain to me why these occur .Whilst watching dvd's, occasionally the audio will disappear for a split second and then it returns .Why is this ???? Any input would be greatly appreciated.:smoke:

What amp and DVD player do you use? Have you checked all digital connections between dvd & amp? swapped the cables tried coax & optical?

Cheers
Tom

I have heard this problem on some systems where they had the wrong cable for the digital sound from DVD.
Check so that you use a 75ohm cable between the digital output on the DVD and the digital input on the reciever.

I've got a Yamaha RX-V530 receiver and a Yamaha DVD-S520 dvd player and I am using a 75 ohm coaxial cable .Now this cable does run by aload of other cables and power points from the extension leads that I'm using ,so it is very probable that they are causing interference.I will go and buy /or preferably borrow a optical cable to see if this solves the problem and obviously will keep you posted regarding the outcome.Thanks for the time being.:smoke:

Does it happen on all DVDs or only one some? If so, does it happen at the same place, i.e. can you simulate the fault?
Layerchange could be the cause of the latter.

It doesn't always happen at the exact same spot and some discs will play through with no problems whatsover.Last night I watched "Wrong Turn" and it played through no problems.The layer change is so fast ,you hardly notice it except for a split second loss in audio but when that happens more than once you know there might be another problem.I really love this dvd player,it maybe a 2002 model, but the picture and sound are fantastic. So it could just be sensitive to scratches or fingerprints,as I mentioned it happens occasionally,there are more positive elements than negative so I 'm prepared to put up with the occasional hiccup.Thanks .:smoke:

I used to have this problem with a NAD T531 DVD player. It went back to NAD twice, they found no fault. I eventually changed it for a Pioneer DV-656A and had no such problems again. I would suggest borrowing another DVD player, or if you have a PS2 or PC, does the problem persist? If it does, then its likely to be dirty discs, if it doesn't, I would suspect the player.

Well Chris, I suspect it's a case of this particular dvd player being sensitive to scratches or other imperfections on the disc itself,rather than a fault with the player.I had an old Toshiba sd-2109 and that would play without any problems whatsoever no matter what state the disc was in,but it wouldn't except RCE discs hence I got this Yamaha.Anyway thanks for your help I'll keep an eye on things and obviously if it gets worse then I'll send it back,but as I mentioned although I've only had this player about two weeks ,I've seen a number of films which I would say that most of them played with no problems ,hence again I'm inclined to believe that the problem is with the discs and not the player.:smoke:

Mr Kardon,

Have you used the same amp for the Toshiba?
If it is a problem with rental discs (new ones should not have that issue because they wouldn't have any scratches, I hope) then this still should happen at about the same spots as scratches don't move.
I would still check the cabling and if you still have the Toshiba, why don't you do some A/B comparison?

Cheers
Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom