1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio dropouts from Panasonic cameras

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by onzey, Jan 19, 2003.

1. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panasonic NV-DS38B camera suffers from audio dropouts during playback, most commonly apparent when its connected to my computer via firewire with my edit program open and I am previewing prior to capture or actually capturing. I have occasionally heard dropouts with the camera unconnected to the pc. The dropouts can be heard from the camera speaker. Dropouts occur at different places during repeated playback of the same footage. I have tried 2 tape brands and get the problem with both. I can get the same problem when connecting the camera to another computer. I have tried a different brand of camera connected to my computer and had no dropouts. I have therefore concluded it is not a tape problem or a computer problem but a camera problem. The service agents I sent the camera to say the problem must be with my computer but they have sent the camera to Panasonic to look at. I have posted about this elsewhere on the web and found a guy in Australia who has had the same problem with 3 NV-DS28 models. He also provided a link to other message boards where 2 other people have the problem with NV-DS28 and NV-DS27. I wandered into a branch of Jessops Saturday evening and told a salesman there about the problem and he said he has the same problem with his own model which I think he said was the DS29.

Has anyone on this forum ever had this problem with any of these (or similar) Panasonic models?

2. Kirpal

Kirpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem from this DV camcorder. I thoght it was either a setup or comms problem. This problem is quite noticeable when the camera is connected to my PC - through ATI all in wonder 8500DV card.
    I would also welcome any solutions.

3. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Honza

Honza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I have the same problem as described by Onzey with my NV-DS38.
    I saw that Onzey has provided a link to a possible solution. Unfortunatly, the link doesn't work.
    Do you remember by chance what was the described solution, then?
    By the way, have the service agents fixed the problem? If so, what was the cause of the trouble, then? Thanking you for any help you can provide.

Honza

5. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Honza

Honza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I wonder if Panasonic has repaired your Camcorder or did you use the solution provided in the link you gave me. Cheers.

7. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audio drop out in DV format usually caused by gunk(oxides) on supply side to cylinder, head cleaning tapes generally won't help as the problem is on the lower cyclinder groove, can also be tape path alignment.
    In DV format, small portion of head scan is allocated to audio first then video signal, so, it appears to be poor envelope signal causing dropout.
    Eitherway, it needs to be checked, problem occurs with all DV formats, probally related to mixing wet/dry tape lubricates from different tape makers.

8. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honza

I never did try the solution. My camera went to an approved repairer 2 or 3 times, then to Panasonic in Bracknell twice, and finally I exchanged it, by actually going to Bracknell, for an MX8. I think Paul Bowlay's solution came up after I sent it back to Panasonic for the second time.

Another thread I started (again with links that no longer work) is here if you are interested

http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=11291&page=1&pp=10&highlight=panasonic

Obviously the solution is only likely to work if you do have the same problem.

Just to be clear, the problem is, a camera that plays back flawlessly (or very close to flawlessly - any camera can produce the odd audio glitch) when used on it's own almost always produces audio dropouts when connected to a computer via a firewire cable.

If you definately have this problem my advice would be to try the solution (if you haven't already) and see if it works.

pteks points are relevant if you are suffering a more general audio dropout problem not related to the firewire connection to a pc.

9. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Honza

It would be interesting to know if the solution did indeed solve your dropouts

(Also useful for anyone else finding the thread)

10. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi laser

The audio dropout problem which is the subject of this thread is not related to the heads but occurs only as a result of connecting the camera to a computer via firewire cable.