Audio Dropouts - Digital

CJLeica

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I have a new CXA81 abs use two inputs, a Node 2 via Digital Coax and my Samsung TV via optical.

Problem 1 - At the start of starting a Amazon music stream through blue sound. I’ll get an audio dropout 4/5 times every 30 seconds or so and then disappears for good.Writing this now and I’ve been intending for 30 mins plus without a hitch. Any thoughts?

Cable is old. 6 years ish.

Problem 2 - Intermittent dropouts with the TV. Normally happens every ten or fifteen seconds. If I change the sound output from tv to optical it normally goes away. Or if I reset sound settings it seems to go away. Then it can be fine for 20 minutes and will randomly come back. I’m wondering if it’s the tv or cable for this reason. If it were the DAC I think it would happen more often? Ps the cable is long and about 6 years old. Can they degrade?

Thanks ever so much for your help.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Is the Network Connection Wired or Wireless?

If Wireless, how far are you from the Router, and are there any obstacles in the way?

Vertically where is the Router relative to the Bluesound? Above, below, or on the same level?

Just curious.

Steve/bluewizard

CJLeica

Novice Member
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply. So it was wireless, until last night when I thought, 'maybe this thing has a wired connection' and now it is wired. I have decent 300mb internet so maybe this could have been the issue. But that is just the COAX input...

The internet wont be anything to do with the optical (tv to hifi) input.

I have new cables coming today though so that might help. I could also try putting the tv optical cable into the Node 2? Then out through the coax to the AMP? Would that work?

Sorry for multiple questions.

Chris

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply. So it was wireless, until last night ...

I have new cables coming today though so that might help. I could also try putting the tv optical cable into the Node 2? Then out through the coax to the AMP? Would that work?
Try the Analog Outputs of the Node-2 just as a test?

Also, do you have the DAC set to any particular resolution? Typically the DAC will self-adjust to the resolution of the content. Some people try to force a higher resolution that does not match the actual content and that can sometimes cause problems.

Curious, does the system have independent Digital Inputs, and by this I mean - Optical OR Coaxial - or is it - Optical AND Coaxial?

It seems to have TWO Optical and One Coaxial, so I would assume those are independent. Further no indication in the Owner's Manual that any of these inputs are shared, but it was a thought.

How long has the DAC been doing this? Was it always this way, or did it just start recently?

You said, or I understood that you now have Wired Networking to the Node-2, did that make a difference.

I would be inclined to contact Tech Support at Cambridge, and see if they have any suggestions. Can we assume you bought this at Richer Sounds? Perhaps call Richer and see if they have in-store tech support. Is it still under warranty? Did you by any chance get the extended warranty? I think the extended warranty allows for a direct exchange rather than a repair.

Judging from this photo of the inside of the CXA81, the DAC is a separate module and it should be pretty easy to replace if you need a repair.

Let us know if the new cables have any effect.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Steve/bluewizard

CJLeica

Novice Member
Try the Analog Outputs of the Node-2 just as a test?

Also, do you have the DAC set to any particular resolution? Typically the DAC will self-adjust to the resolution of the content. Some people try to force a higher resolution that does not match the actual content and that can sometimes cause problems.

Curious, does the system have independent Digital Inputs, and by this I mean - Optical OR Coaxial - or is it - Optical AND Coaxial?

It seems to have TWO Optical and One Coaxial, so I would assume those are independent. Further no indication in the Owner's Manual that any of these inputs are shared, but it was a thought.

How long has the DAC been doing this? Was it always this way, or did it just start recently?

You said, or I understood that you now have Wired Networking to the Node-2, did that make a difference.

I would be inclined to contact Tech Support at Cambridge, and see if they have any suggestions. Can we assume you bought this at Richer Sounds? Perhaps call Richer and see if they have in-store tech support. Is it still under warranty? Did you by any chance get the extended warranty? I think the extended warranty allows for a direct exchange rather than a repair.

Judging from this photo of the inside of the CXA81, the DAC is a separate module and it should be pretty easy to replace if you need a repair.

Let us know if the new cables have any effect.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Steve/bluewizard
Evening Steve,

Good idea I will try the analog output from the Node 2 to the Cambridge. Then I have the new cables too, to try... Plus the wired connection. It almost seems like the Node has to warm up (drops out a few times) then is stable. But maybe that is the WiFi as you say.

Also I have a PS4 and another TV so I will try the Optical from those too, if no issues there I know its the TV (talking about the Optical tv drop here of course)....

The Cambridge has two optical inputs and one coax input, the Node has separate optical and coax outputs. I can try a mixture I guess and see where the problem lies. Id be surprised if it was the Cambridge as its brand new (days old) and I have until Jan 21 to return so under no pressure at all.

PS - I will reset the sound settings on the Node 2 (dac) also.

Really appreciate the help

mseve1

Problem 1 - At the start of starting a Amazon music stream through blue sound. I’ll get an audio dropout 4/5 times every 30 seconds or so and then disappears for good.
If the problem occurs only when using the Node's digital output the Cambridge DAC may be having problems with clock synchronisation. Have you tried switching off the Audio Clock Trimming in the Bluesound app?
(Settings > Player > Audio > Audio Clock Trim)

CJLeica

Novice Member
Hi
If the problem occurs only when using the Node's digital output the Cambridge DAC may be having problems with clock synchronisation. Have you tried switching off the Audio Clock Trimming in the Bluesound app?
(Settings > Player > Audio > Audio Clock Trim)
Hi Steve,

So I am 99% sure that you have just solved the problem. You are definitely my favourite Audio orientated, UK based forum member ever! :smashin: Thank you. When I looked up your suggestion it even says online that this feature doesn't seem to like ESS Sabre DACS which I think are in my Cambridge.

Just a coincidence that my amp was replaced at a similar time to the update from Bluesound so it worried me a bit.

Thanks very much again

CJLeica

Novice Member
Steves to the rescue. Thanks both for helping. I tested my Amp with several inputs like BlueWizard (Steve) suggested and the Optical problem went away when connecting the amp to my other tv... so it seems like an issue with the optical out or the rubbish 'One Connect' box from samsung.

The samsung tv and Amp did work fine by connecting to Bluetooth instead though.

All is well i think

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom