1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio (down & type) conversion - what do I need?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by siwatkins, Aug 19, 2005.

1. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Following on from an earlier post where I was struggling getting tunes to my new Sony Ericsson W800, I thought I'd simplify my question.

I have:

Lots of WMA Lossless audio files in my PC library.
    Lots of 320kbs MP3 audio files in my PC library.
    A fair few < 320kbs MP3 audio files in my PC library.

I prefer:

Windows Media Audio Player 10.
    To "Sync" music files to an audio device in a lower bitrate form rather than mess around with duplicate low bit rate versions, and file copies.

I want:

To sync from my library to my W800, in the process downsampling and transcoding to either MP3 or AAC.
    -----------

What software do I need? I'd prefer to use WMP, but it only converts WMA Lossless to lower bitrate lossy WMA, and not to MP3. Is there a plug in?

I've tried iTunes, but that doesn't solve me any problems really. It will convert my WMA Lossless files to lower bit rate AAC. But it doesn't downsample or convert MP3s (and at 320kbs, with only 512Mb storage, they are too big). It also results in my having two copies of the same music file (ugh), and it won't intelligently sync on the fly with my W800.

Help!!! Am I running up against some DRM constraints that mean what I want isn't possible?

Simon

2. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, looks like I'm on my own having high res audio files, with a need to occasionally downconvert to a portable device. Strange, as I thought there were people interested in high quality source material here, and plenty of gadget freaks ;)

I thought I'd post an update for anyone else with a similar requirement to mine - ie, transcoding high res and lossless audio in one format, to a another format at a lower bit rate for use on a portable device. The best solution I have found so far, is to use Winamp, and a transcoder plug in available from here:
    http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~wdhf2/transcoder/

That pretty much does the job, albeit a little flakily. Another potential option is a product called MediaMonkey, which despite the naff name, is shaping up to be a very nice library tool. MediaMonkey will sync nicely to a portable device, but doesn't yet do transcoding on the fly, so it would be a 2 step process at the moment. The wishlist is in.

Anyway, thanks for all your help ;)

Simon

3. TheDonDon

TheDonDon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

I'm an aging computer professional but new to this digital music stuff.

Your problem seems to exactly describe mine.
    How to rip music at high quality but transfer to W800i at reduced quality.

I have nothing much on disk yet but having thought it through I decided that I wanted to store on disk WMA lossless and transfer to W800i as (probably) 128k MP3.

I've had several false starts and hence my recourse to this forum.

Just wondered if you had made any progress since your last post?

4. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Well as you can see, I had a massive response from this forum :) I was surprised, as I thought there were people who would have similar requirements for high quality audio in their home, but storage sensitive audio for their portable devices.

Nonetheless, my last post is still the method that I use. I find it works a treat and now that I have a 1Gb card full with tracks, apart from removing the odd one and adding the odd new every now and then, I don't do much to my portable music selection, as there is plenty on there. In fact, I took the phone for 2 weeks skiing in January, listening to music all day every day. I still haven't found the need to change stuff around to any great degree.

Simon