1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio delay on (optical) DVD start

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hangleton, Jan 22, 2004.

1. hangleton

hangleton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

This problem has been bugging me for a while. Apologies if this is a regularly asked question or the solution is really obvious, I'm a bit new to this game.

I have recently upgraded to a proper surround system, using an aging Sony 315 DVD player and Denon 1803 Amp. The connection between the two is via an optical cable.

When starting to play a DVD, there is a delay between the DVD start and the audio being generated. Just 1/2 a second or so, if that.

It's not noticable on films, but on many extras, like interviews etc, it's really annoying.

This problem does not happen using analogue cabling.

Has anybody else come across this? Is it my DVD player or amplifier that is causing it, and is there any way to get round it?

Thanks in advance, hope this makes some sense

Andy

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,267
    probably just the amp getting synching to the signal being sent from the DVd player.

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    mjn's probably right. With the optical digital cable, there are probably a variety of signal types that can be sent to your amp - streo, DD, DTS, etc, and your amp is detecting the different types and switching (may be accompanied by a click) as appropriate.

I guess this doesn't happen with analogue (left/ right) cable because you're only getting one type of signal (stereo), so there's no need for the amp to switch.

Balders.