1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio delay on Meridian 561?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Triggaaar, May 5, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I understand that the audio delay on the 561 is up to 30ms? I intend to use an HTPC to provide 1:1 pixel mapping to a plasma, and any scaling duties that would be beneficial (DVD and sky sources).

Will the Meridian be able to provide enough delay for lip syncing? Or would a Lexicon MC-1?

Thanks

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I used to find that I needed 60ms for DVD and 100ms for freeview when I used a Denon 3803. But now with my 561, 30ms seems to work for both. Either I am accepting a very slight lip sync problem (I don't think I can see it though), or 30ms is not 30ms on each unit. Also, I think I have the DTS delay box ticked, which might (someone confirm/deny) add a little delay of its own.

I, too, was worried that 30ms wasn't going to be enough, but for me, that was not the overriding factor in my purchase. For me, the sound quality of the 561 was what won me over - and as it turns out, 30ms seems to be enough.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I have a 568.2 with 30ms and it is fine with both a Lumagen (sil504), Faroudja from panny RP-82 and going into my BenQ.

I am sure the Lexicon had 60ms and needed to be around 40 somthing, but I have the meridian at 20ms and seems to be spot on for everything.

DTS delay leaves a slight pause when switching to DTS so you dont get a crack through the speakers I think.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Thanks guys.

That's reassuring - I think I'd heard that figures like 60ms were needed. Would have thought that with something as simple a timing the audio delay, manufacturers would be consistent with each other. Also good to see you use it with the iscan, and its still fine.

Re DTS delay - that makes sense gizlaroc

edit - demoing 561 tomorrow