1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Delay on DV27A (Interlaced/Progressive scan)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by steeled, Apr 17, 2005.

1. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi All

I am using the analogue outputs of my FMJ DV27A DVD player to provide surround sound. I have now obtained a philips PF9986 LCD TV and I am now using the progressive scan outputs from the player.

In setup screen 3/7 you can add delay to the audio to allow for progressive scan processing. In the manual there is only two options (normal/progressive) however my player has two bars to adjust for PAL and NTSC.

My question is; What should I set the delays to, to take into account the progressive processing delays in the player?

Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Dave

2. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try experimenting with different delays until picture and sound seem in sync to you. People tend to vary a lot in how much picture delay they can tolerate before noticing it; if the picture and sound don't seem out of sync you may not need to alter the setting at all. You'll find material with plenty of dialog and lots of close-ups will be where any delay is most apparent.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    start with around 50ms and see how you get on.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Try turning the delay steadily downward until it's definitely too short, then turning it up until it's definitely too long, then picking a value half way between those two points. :)

5. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking around 50mS would be a good place to start. To be honest I don't spot these problems myself but others who are more fussy might :)

I was under the impression that you had to add some delay in order to get the sound in sync with the video ouput as it left the player, then you need to add more to compensate for the display.

The reason why I ask is that the DV27A does not "know" if you are using the progressive or interlaced outputs as they are driven independently. I was hoping that there was a "known value" that compensated just for the player.

Thanks again

Dave

6. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steeled,
    According to the handbook for DV27A, if the prog scan output is used, then the recommended delay is as follows:
    NTSC: 50-60ms
    PAL: 60-70ms
    In theory the delay should be 3 fields which is 50ms in NTSC and 60ms in PAL.
    Hope this helps.

7. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Engineer

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately my manual is for the older firmware and so this was not included.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave