1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Delay Needed?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kootuu, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi I'm looking to buy a new amp but want to make sure I am making the right purchase and don't need to upgrade in the future.

Ok I have a DVD22 Harman/Kardon DVD Player and a Sony STR-DB940 Receiver at the moment. I want to upgrade to one of the new Harman/Kardon receiver probably but need to know something about Audio Delay.

I am currently looking at the AVR230 and 330 - however neither of these offer audio delay, the AVR430 does however but is nearly £200 more than the AVR330 and £300 more than the AVR230.

At the moment I am running off a Philips 28" Widescreen CRT TV but in the future I would be looking to use a plasma screen with the progressive scan capabilities of the DVD22 DVD Player. Now, I've read about some people suffering from Audio Delay - is this common with Plasmas? If so, should I purchase the expensive option or would I be alright with the lower priced models?

Anyone know how much of a benefit I will get over my current Receiver? I know the STR-DB940 was a very sought after receiver in it's day so not sure how much better the Harman/Kardon's will sound apart from offering 6.1/7.1 and PLII.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    When you upgrade to a plasma IMHO you will more than likly notice the lip sync errors. They are already there on your small screen, but because of the size it is far less noticeable. Also a plasma has more processing to do that will increase the delay.
    Some people are lucky and never notice it. Others only notice it when somebody else points it out, but then they will always see it. You may be lucky but do you want to chance it?

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    or take a look at the thread Here (9th post down by Ian J) that has details of a standalone audio delay box. This will allow you to get a cheaper receiver if you want and then only get this box if you do see the lip sync delay.

Mark.

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm, rather disturbing reading...I would prefer not to have to spend the extra £200 but it seems I may have to spend this amount in the future...

I think I would notice it, I am very aware of the smallest problems I get, just the other day infact I thought my DVD was currently out of sync with the TV, but I didn't see how that could be as I had not heard of this happening with CRT's. But now you say they happen, it makes me think it was out of sync.

Is this the case for all TV's then? Are they all out of sync ever so slightly?

5. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm, rather disturbing reading...I would prefer not to have to spend the extra £200 but it seems I may have to spend this amount in the future...

I think I would notice it, I am very aware of the smallest problems I get, just the other day infact I thought my DVD was currently out of sync with the TV, but I didn't see how that could be as I had not heard of this happening with CRT's. But now you say they happen, it makes me think it was out of sync.

Is this the case for all TV's then? Are they all out of sync ever so slightly?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well it all depends on the equipment being used and the DVD disk playing. Sometimes the disk is badly mastered and some equipment will induce a larger video delay than others. I also often notice a sync error on standard TV transmitions and Freeview (or any digital TV) is worse. My processor has a permenent delays set for all audio, regardless of its source. I am about to get my hands on a video processor as well and this will increase any video delay further.

IMO audio delay is no longer a luxury, but more a requirement of even fairly low end HC setups. So it is nice to see standalone boxes like the one I linked to above starting to appear at reasonable cost.

Mark.

7. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for your input Mark :)

Would like to know what anyone else thinks of my situation? Has anyone else noticed any audio delay in their plasma setups?

Cheers,
    Chris