Question Audio Delay for TV, Game mode?

Yorkshirelion

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have the following equipment,

Denon X2300W > Samsung KS7000

Ever since moving from a plasma to the Samsung I have noticed lip sync issues, when in game mode the TV has around 20ms delay, I’m not sure what it is without but I’m assuming over 100ms. At the moment I have the Denon video processing turned off, set to bypass.

What is the recommended setup for sealing with audio delay? Any help appreciated.

Basically what I am asking, should I set both the TV and Denon Amp to 0ms delay when using HDMI on external speakers, I don’t have any video processing enabled on the Denon.

The setting onboard the TV will only effect the audio as portrayed via the TV's own speakers. You'd have to use the adjustment on the AV receiver if wishing to adjust the sync of audio sources the receiver is handling and outputting via the speakers connected to it.

Is the video lagging behind the audio? If so and if always the case with that particular source then it may be advisable to add some audio delay using the AV receiver in order to try syncronise the audio with the video?

The setting onboard the TV will only effect the audio as portrayed via the TV's own speakers. You'd have to use the adjustment on the AV receiver if wishing to adjust the sync of audio sources the receiver is handling and outputting via the speakers connected to it.

Hi thanks for the reply,

What I am trying to find out is do I need to adjust my receiver for the latency of my tv, between game mode and standard? When I watch a audio sync video on YouTube it looks like the audio is synced to me but when I watch films on my NVIDIA shield on Plex I would say certain films look out of sync to me?

As a general setup does the TVs latency make a difference to the Denon?

If the source is connected to the AV receiver and if there's always some video lag experienced then you can add some audio delay using the AV receiver to try compensate.

You tell me as to whether it makes a difference. Is the video lagging behind the audio? If not then no, don't bother adding any audio delay. You only need such delay to rey syncroise video and audio which are out of sync.

If the source is connected to the AV receiver and if there's always some video lag experienced then you can add some audio delay using the AV receiver to try compensate.

You tell me as to whether it makes a difference. Is the video lagging behind the audio?

I just assumed this would be a general thing that people had to deal with these days, how do you go about that, each time I game I would go into the Denon settings and change the delay to say 20ms and when I’m not gaming set the delay to 100ms?

I wonder if my Denon is per source for the delay, so I could set 20ms to the Xbox and 100ms to the shield.

You can have different settings for each of the receiver's different sources. You'd not however be able to have more than one setting saved in association with just one source for use in association with different activities you engage in with that source device.

Thank you for the information, looking at my TV there are different latencies for 4K, 1080p, 4K and game mode. I might just choose something in between like a 50ms delay on the Denon to get somewhere in the middle.

Are you actually experiencing issues with the audio being out of sync with the video? You don't need to do anything unless the audio is in fact not syncronised with the video. Some devices automatically correct discrepancies. This is however somewhat hit and miss depending upon the TV and the amount of video processing it applies.

Are you actually experiencing issues with the audio being out of sync with the video? You don't need to do anything unless the audio is in fact not syncronised with the video. Some devices automatically correct discrepancies. This is however somewhat hit and miss depending upon the TV and the amount of video processing it applies.

Like I say when watching plex on the NVIDIA shield I do notice some lip sync issues depending on the codec being used. Also I can see the difference between when I have game mode on and when I don’t.

Making the adjustments to the delay may address the issue under those particular circustances, but cannot also result in the audio being in sync if you alter other aspects such as the TV's mode and or picture processing. Note that the adjustments you make relative to a source may not still be valid if the TV's own picture processing is set differently?

Making the adjustments to the delay may address the issue under those particular circustances, but cannot also result in the audio being in sync if you alter other aspects such as the TV's mode and or picture processing. Note that the adjustments you make relative to a source may not still be valid if the TV's own picture processing is set differently?

On devices that do multiple things like Xbox and PlayStation 4 I will set a 50ms delay, things like the shield I will just leave at 100ms.

Latency;

Code:
1080p @ 60Hz
 : 20.9 ms
 1080p With Interpolation
 : 118.9 ms
 1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode
 : 113.5 ms
 1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
 : 37.8 ms
 4k @ 60Hz
 : 22.7 ms
 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
 : 37.4 ms
 4k @ 60Hz + HDR
 : 21.1 ms
 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR
 : 37.6 ms

Unfortunately, there's no cure to audio delays. You can reduce it but you can't get rid of it.

Try wiring your source straight to the amp or receiver to see if it makes a difference.

Also, any Dolby format is going to be laggy unless your source or TV is capable of sending uncompressed/PCM 5.1/7.1 over eARC. I think optical should also keep the lag down but you're going to be limited on formats and quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom