Audio conversion problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bobman, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To begin - I hope this is in the correct place.

Current setup - HTPC feeding video to a DLP Projector and audio to a very nice Creative Megaworks 550 :

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=25&product=240

The PC has a decent (£80 range) X-Fi card connected to the sub as follows:

3 x mini jack plugs connect from the card - green->front, black->rear and pink->centre/sub. There is also an auxilary that I don't use. All satellites connect to the sub.

As part of my new home distribution system I want to do away with the PC. I will be feeding this room from a new video matrix switch. Component video will go to the projector leaving me with either stereo audio or digital audio to get out through these speakers.

I could scrap the speakers and put in an AV receiver/surround system with its own speakers. My preferred option would be to have some form of device that takes either of the two audio input options and allows me to output to the 3 mini jacks as before. Alternatively, I could be talked into something that takes the input and outputs directly to each individual speaker - the satellites are currently connected to the sub via RCA/Phono. I would really love to use this system as it sounds awesome, and it is bought and paid for.

Basically, I'm looking to reuse a 5.1 system that was designed for a PC.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    You may be able to find an AV receiver with outputs like those shown in the attachments. You could then connect using a phono to mini jack converter for each speaker pair.

You will need to find out where the amplifier is - I would assume the speakers are powered my an amp in the sub and therefore must continue to be connected via the sub.

I do not know what level of signal would be supplied by the receiver c.f. the soundcard. You would have to look elsewhere to find out that info I am afraid.

Attached Files:

3. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I just looked at you picture - the speakers could plrobably just connect straight into the phono connections on the back of the amp! (see prev attachment)

4. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Craigd

The sub has a built in amp. I could buy buy an AV receiver with outputs like the one on your diagram and attach the satellites to it. However, the sub would be a problem.

I was hoping to find some form of little device that would essentially do what a sound card does and provide the same outputs. Maybe something like this:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=14191

But I'm not sure if it would work independently from a PC.

5. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    This device you have shown only converts analogue audio from the soundcard to digital signal into your amp/receiver.

I am guessing, but not 100% sure, that if you have an analogue stereo output from any source or multi channel analogue output you can still connect it directly to the speakers using mini jack <-> phono converters as long as you go via the sub with its own amplification.

You can use aan audio switch to get multiple sources in an switch between them. Have you tried speking to the makers of the speakers to see if this is possible?