1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Connection

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dd shand, Nov 21, 2003.

1. dd shand

dd shand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered up a Panasonic TZ36PD30. As I understand it, component video cables only carry picture information. How do I get DVD sound into the television?
    Possibly a silly question, but I cant Figure it out.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & welcome :)

If the TV has a "digital" connection (eg. has onboard DD 5.1 etc.), you'll need either an optical or co-axial cable.

If it's just a stereo TV, just a pair of phono co-ax cables (red & white connectors).

All readily available cheaply & locally.

3. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the same apply to me. I've just ordered the TX32 PS5 or do I just connect scart to scart to the DVD?
    Thanks

4. dd shand

dd shand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, a scart cable would certainly connect a TV and DVD for sound and vision. However, in order to make use of the Panasonics` progressive scan feature, I need a seperate audio link.
    Panasonic UKs website describes the PD30 connections, but there doesn`t seem to be an audio connection other than the front AV sockets.
    I can`t believe that to use this advanced design TV in progressive scan mode I need to rig up phono leads to the front of the set. Is this the case.
    Thanks from a new guy.

5. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hiya DD,

Welcome mate :hiya:

Its not as bad as you think, you have to use a scart for audio connection. There are NO phono audio INPUTS for this set - when using component - if using the TV's onboard audio (virtual Dolby)...

So use the Component Video feeds for pic, and use a scart from the player to AV4 scart input for your audio. Luckily, All my audio duties are done by an external amp (has been for years now) and to be fair, that's Panny's thinking behind such an decent set as the PD30. Good choice DD and I hope you get it set up ok:smashin:

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

6. dd shand

dd shand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lagavulin thanks very very much. Your answer makes it clear what I have to do - go out and buy another scart lead!
    Thanks for that though, I may never have figured it out myself.

7. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    :smashin:

You're more than welcome mate, just glad to be of help,

Regards,

LAGAVULIN