Audio Connection for home cinema advice

JB1978

Standard Member
Hi all
I've got a fairly basic TV set up at home but it's driving me mad..

I have a Sony Bravia TV - Sony Bravia Blu Ray Surround system - Tivo Box & Bose Surround.

None of it talk to each other - the TV does not have digital audio out or HDMI return. So to get the TV to talk to the Sony Surround system (which has the WORST sound ever) i had to go via phone. Rubbish.
Enter the new Tivo box - I guess I could play digital audio from the TV I'm receiving from the Tivo straight to the Sony Surround blue ray? BUT - i would need to change the speakers from the Sony surround because they are so awful to the Bose speakers - the Bose system only has 8 pin input (its quite old) so can I take audio OUT front the Blu Ray and into an 8 pin?
Also have an Apple TV - but i guess as that plays through HDMI into the TV that would just play out through the surround?
Or is there some other better way of doing it - i.e. get a big amplifier and plug everything into that?
Tempted to bin the lot...

JB1978

Standard Member
Damn - that looks serious. But about £400 too expensive..

Ive been reading a lot of good reviews about Logitech 5.1 speakers but they plug directly into a subwoofer so probably won't be compatible with the plugs coming out of the Blu Ray

Ideally someone could recommend a set of speakers that take standard speaker cables that deliver good mid and high range and excellent bass as the BDV e370 speakers are just dreadful.
I think the Bose i was given is missing a module or something as the12 pin connector on the back is some sort of data cable..

cjwood555

There are cheaper options than the Yamaha. There are no speakers I'd recommend at your price point, sorry.

Chris

PC1975

If I was working on a budget id consider the follwing:

Onkyo TXSR309 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Mordaunt Short ALUMNI 5 White | Single Centre | Richer Sounds

£240 all in (2 sets of spkrs). You would have to buy speaker wire as well but richer sounds cheapest stuff (99p a meter) would be fine for that system. I used those Wharfdales for a while until I could afford better and was surprised how good they sounded for their size and price. You could add a sub further down the line if you wanted.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom