1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio commentarys.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mr chadwick, Apr 30, 2002.

1. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone ever listen them?
    i used to always listen to them on laser discs,the usual suspects was very eye opening.
    most of the time they just drone on leaving large gaps of silence.
    mind you kurt russell and bruce campell are always entertaining on comm tracks.

any good ones you could recommend.

cheers steve.:p

2. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to listen to them all the time but not so much now. Its hard to justify 2 hours listening to people talk unless you already know its gonna be good.

My favs though are:

The Goonies (Funny)
    American Beauty(Insightful)

Funny you should mention the usual suspects, i think im gonna listen to that one next.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A Knights Tale is one of the best I have listened to. Very funny.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm addicted to the bloody things at the mo and since I discovered them I rarely buy a dvd that doesn't feature one.
    I love film and think they are such a useful insight to how a film is put together, the actual nuts and bolts.
    Director Steven Soderberg said the same and said he wished they had been around when he was younger, he called them the most useful tool available to a budding film-maker.

I would recommend

The Thing
    Ghostbusters
    Stand by Me (Rob Reiner isn't hugely interesting but for technical details it's great)
    Jeepers Creepers
    Ravenous (Robert Carlyse for acting details, Jeffrey Jones for fun, avoid Damon Albarn and Antonia Bird one tho, they are so up their own arses)

I'm just about to listen to Usual Suspects as well, sounds quite lively.

Avoid any Robert De Niro commentaries like the plague, he is one of the most boring people alive

5. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The Usual Suspects was very good.
    Ghostbusters too, but the best I've heard is Scott's Alien commentary.
    I want a Memento commentary...badly. I'm sure Bladrunner would be good too.

6. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Apollo 13, Mr Jim Lovell, seeing as he was actually it makes for a terrific insight into the mission.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I love 'em. If it's a movie I've seen a lot, I just put the commentary on in the background while I'm at the computer.

Gotta mention these:
    Spinal Tap - The guys stay in character for the whole movie, and although they give you no info whatsoever, it's very funny.
    Holy Grail - Good commentaries, with lots of background info.
    Cannibal: The Musical - Matt, Trey and the gang sit around doing shots and talking about the movie until they're too drunk to continue.

And, the worst ever....
    "Rush Hour"
    -whether you liked the movie or not, this is the most self-serving commentary I've ever heard. Brent Ratnor has the nerve to talk about directing all the fight scenes, even up to the end credits which show Jackie Chan doing all the work, and Ratnor looking on like a doofus. It's staggering how full of himself this guy is.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost Famous Bootleg 2 disc - Really casual, set up as a kind of 'just hanging out' commentary. Cameron Crowe says on the commentary: "Ideally you should only be able to buy this on the black market to add to the whole bootleg feel of this edition"

Boogie Nights Platinum Edition 2 disc - Whole cast commentary, very funny, Director Commentary - very intereting.

The mummy returns - (also the mummy), these guys are just very funny and helps you diregard any criticisms of the film, because they never take it seriously and are always taking the **** out of it.

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Try An American Werewolf in London, that is funny, one of them tells you the exact moment some snot comes out during the film!

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one thing that bugs me about commentaries is the stock phrase that is used at least once on every commentary and sometimes several times. You know what I'm talking about right?!

"This bit coming up is my favourite scene in the movie!" On the ghostbusters commentary they each say this about three times.

11. garliadr

garliadr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I rarely find time to sit and listen to commentaries, so I record them onto minidisc when I`m doing other things and then listen to them in the car.

12. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I try and listen to most of the ones that I'm interested in.

Best so far (by a mile) are the ones on Fight Club. Very entertaining.
    Also the one for Get Shorty.

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the only one I've ever really listened to was on the 'Detroit Rock City' DVD. Although it's not a regular commentary, more just a phone interview with each member of Kiss.

Like 'Sugar & Spice' I thought DRC was a very underrated film.

14. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to 'em sometimes.

15. cerberus

cerberus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like to, but don't often get the time.

Good:
    There's something about Mary (just quite entertaining)
    American Pie (most of the time someone is in the middle of saying something and someone else but
    in with a "Oh she's cute" and then silence Just amusing)

Bad:
    Austin powers: the spy who shagged me (if you find the movie funny you would expect Mike Myers to be really funny - well you'd be wrong!)

Tim

16. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree "American Werewolf" is good.The commentary on "Snatch" is quite a laugh as well.If any one has listened to "What Lies Beneath",is it me or does the producer love kissing the directors @rse...."yeah,you were great","i love the way you done that","ooooh your sooooo clever".:rolleyes:
    It could be Smithers and Mr Burns:D

17. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a filmy one, but the comentary tracks on the two Spaced dvds are almost as funny as the series (which is v.funny indeed).

stan.

18. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apart from a dts sountrack, commentarys are the only extra i actually look for. having said that i have never listened to one all the way through. they can really be an entertaining alternative to watching a well know film again. the evil dead commentary is a good one

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I stopped listening to the commentaries three of four years ago when I realised that the majority were boring. The highlights up until then were Robert Rodriguez on El Mariachi plus Desperado and Wolfgang Pederson on Das Boot.

The lowlight was Paul Verhoeven on Starship Troopers who ranks in my estimation as one of the alltime bores.

20. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The contrast between commentaries for the first & second AP films is amazing. The first one sounds like they're just making it up on the spot and having a good time. Their enthusiasm really shines through. The commentary for the second film sounds like they're reading from a script. Such a disappointment.

I rarely get time to listen to commentaries these days - I'm still about 5 Buffys, Angels and 24s behind.

Cheers,
    Liam

21. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Roger Waters commentary on the Wall DVD is really funny. Considering what a serious movie it is. Not much said about the movie as such but but waters and gerald scarfe f*** Alan Parker (the director) throughout the movie.

Quite a few laughs...

22. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Rarely listen as sometimes can help kill the film. But Oz series commentary is funny, insightful and not at all creepy - "Oh s/he was SO great", rather more self efacing and 'for real'.

23. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll have to disagree with DamTom1 about the "Snatch" commentary, Guy Ritchie sounded like he didn't even want to be there or even knew what he was doing and as such Um'd and Er'd through half the film while spending the other half trying to get the producer to say more than two words about any given part of the film....

My enthusiasm for the commentary ended when I realised his hadn't even shown up...:(