1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio commentaries

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cozzer, Jun 13, 2001.

1. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a lot of my friends have recently been converted to the charms of all things dvd. however, they all agree on one thing - that audio commentaries are a complete waste of time. now i love listening to the audio commentaries and have done on about 90% of my 190 discs that have this feature. i was just wondering how other people felt about them and what their favourites were.

the commentaries that i have actually listened more than once to (i know - i truly do have no life!) are all the commentaries on the region 1 kevin smith discs (clerks, mallrats, chasing amy and the clerks: animated series), the two john carpenter flicks (the thing and big trouble in little china) and the criterion edition of brazil (terry gilliam just cannot be shut up). the commentaries on these discs are absolutely hilarious (especially clerks, with jason mewes drunk as a skunk all the way through!) and incredibly interesting and if anyone has these discs and not listened to the commentaries, do so immediately!

what does everyone think? :D

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I only listen to the commentaries that I think will be good - that is, the films that I really like....

I can recommend:

Robocop
    All Kevin Smith's
    Evil Dead 2
    From Dusk Till Dawn

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember right now....

3. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to admit, there are some that bore me stupid - the matrix region 1 was awful, while sleepy hollow - did tim burton just wake up every 10 minutes?
    but if people are willing to take the time and talk about a film that i enjoy then i will listen to them talk about it - even if do sometimes have to suffer all the way through!!!
    what do you think are the worst audio commentaries you've listened to?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't really care about commentaries or other extras, for me the movie is enough (as long as it comes with the best possible picture and sound quality).
    Found the "Bullet-Time" extra on 'The Matrix' interesting though which strangly doesn't play with sound on my new player (audio track selection not available) ...

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

For me the "Run Lola Run" (R1) commentary by Tom Tykwer and Franka Potente was a nice one to listen to: very easy on the ears, not to complex or dull, and lots of small, but nonetheless interesting tidbits regarding what went on behind the scenes.

As for other DVD audio-commentaries, I don't normally tend to listen to them, but that's only through lack of time, rather than finding them boring or worthless.

Pooch

6. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Spinal Tap commentary is excellent as its all done in character - its the only commentary I've ever sat through though!

7. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to only listen to bits of them, if I want to know how a particular scene is shot for example. I've naver sat through an entire commentary yet and probably never will.

Jay

8. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've only listened to a couple:

American Pie
    Scream (Directors Cut Laserdisc)
    Armegeddon (Crit.)
    The Rock (Crit.)

But the best i've heard had to be on the region 2 (GASP!!! :eek: ) release of El Mariachi/Desparado. Robert Rodriguez is incredible. This guy must have the biggest lungs ever cos he doesn't pause for breath! I listened to the El Mariachi track and when it finished, flipped the disk and carried on with Desparado. For any one who ever wanted to make a movie this is one highly recommended class!!

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The commentary on Chopper by the real Mark 'Chopper' Read is well worth a listen - very amusing in a sick kind of way.
    You get the impression he was quite proud to have had a film made about his life.
    You can't help s,ilimg where he intimates that Tarrantino should have hired him as a consultant for Reservoir Dogs as he is 'something of an authority' on cutting off ears :eek: