Audio Coming Out Rumbling/Banging in Surround Klipsch Speakers (Video Inside)

AVMikeD

Novice Member
Hey everyone!

I have a bit of a peculiar problem I was hoping somebody here might have some insight on. My home theater audio set up consists of a Klipsch 5.1 reference series speaker setup, a Denon 4311CI receiver and an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier. Unfortunately upon moving a few years ago, the movers broke my surround Klipsch RS-62II speakers, so I had to buy brand new replacements ones which have simply sat in a box. My home theater equipment and speakers sat unused for about a year and a half until I’ve recently had space and time to set up the home theater again. Upon getting everything installed and wired back up, the first two movies I watched looked and sounded perfectly. Upon watching the third movie, however, I started to hear a loud rumbling/banging noise coming out of the right RS-62II surround during parts of the movie that were bass/LFE heavy. The rumbling got louder and more frequent during the next two movies I watched and then suddenly the left speaker started doing it too. This was very odd to me as these speakers were new and this was probably their 10th hour of total use.

I contacted Klipsch and they were very kind to send me replacement woofers and a replacement crossover board for the RS-62II speakers. I replaced them in the left surround speaker (didn’t touch the right yet) and tried a scene in a movie, but it’s still making the loud rumbling/banging noise during bass-heavy scenes.

I took a video that shows the sound (it’s actually louder on the other speaker) that starts about 5 seconds in (and does it again about 5 seconds after):

If anybody has any insight on this, I would greatly appreciate it! It’s odd as these speakers are new and the sound system components worked perfectly fine before sitting a year and a half or so.

AVMikeD

Novice Member
What is your crossover frequency set to?

Appreciate your quick reply, John! The crossover frequency is set to "Full" for the front speakers, "40hz" for the center speaker and "80hz" for the surround speakers. I used Audyssey to calibrate.

WozzaB

Not familiar with that model of Denon, but does it give the option to set the speakers to Large or Small? Also, are you running a sub in the setup as you have the front L/R running full range?

AVMikeD

Novice Member
Not familiar with that model of Denon, but does it give the option to set the speakers to Large or Small? Also, are you running a sub in the setup as you have the front L/R running full range?

Appreciate the response!

It does give the option to set all the speakers to either Large/Small. And I am indeed running a sub (Klipsch R-115SW).

WozzaB

Appreciate the response!

It does give the option to set all the speakers to either Large/Small. And I am indeed running a sub (Klipsch R-115SW).
Try setting the speakers to Small and any Sub settings on the Denon to LFE only + 120hz, see if that helps.

AVMikeD

Novice Member
Try setting the speakers to Small and any Sub settings on the Denon to LFE only + 120hz, see if that helps.

Appreciate that!

Just checked on my receiver and the surround speakers were already set to small and the Sub set to LFE Only + 120hz. I did try setting the front speakers to small as well, but unfortunately the rumbling sound persisted.

WozzaB

Appreciate that!

Just checked on my receiver and the surround speakers were already set to small and the Sub set to LFE Only + 120hz. I did try setting the front speakers to small as well, but unfortunately the rumbling sound persisted.

You could try raising the crossover on the surrounds to 100hz, they are rated down to 50hz so seems odd they sound like they are struggling with the crossover at 80hz, it's almost like frequencies well below the crossover are getting through.
Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can offer more advice, maybe @Gasp3621 if he doesn't mind😬

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You could try raising the crossover on the surrounds to 100hz, they are rated down to 50hz so seems odd they sound like they are struggling with the crossover at 80hz, it's almost like frequencies well below the crossover are getting through.
Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can offer more advice, maybe @Gasp3621 if he doesn't mind😬

No idea. :( Sounds like the speaker is broken or not connected correct.

@AVMikeD Maybe ask at the Klipsch forum cause they know these Klipsch products inside out!

AVMikeD

Novice Member

I truly do appreciate the tips, it's been a huge help!

So I set the surround speakers to 100hz crossover, and it marginally improved. But when I set the surrounds to 150hz for crossover, the bad rumbling sound almost completely disappeared (I'd say 95% gone). I found that odd since as you said these speakers should be able to handle a lower crossover.

Would it be safe (won't cause damage to the sub, etc) to keep the surrounds at 150hz for crossover and if so, would these settings be alright given the crossover is high for the surrounds:

Front Speaker Crossover and Size: "Full"/Large
Center Speaker Crossover and Size: 40hz/Small
Surround Speaker Crossover and Size 150hz/Small
Subwoofer: "LFE Only + 120hz"

WozzaB

So I set the surround speakers to 100hz crossover, and it marginally improved. But when I set the surrounds to 150hz for crossover, the bad rumbling sound almost completely disappeared (I'd say 95% gone). I found that odd since as you said these speakers should be able to handle a lower crossover.

Would it be safe (won't cause damage to the sub, etc) to keep the surrounds at 150hz for crossover and if so, would these settings be alright given the crossover is high for the surrounds:

Something still doesn't seem right, maybe a connection issue or speaker fault as Gasp3621 suggested.

As for the settings, what models are the other speakers and what did Audyssey set the crossovers to? You would usually have all speakers set to small if you have a sub, even if you have big floorstanders as you want the sub handling the low stuff and taking the strain off the other speakers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

They should easily handle 80-100hz crossover setting without odd noises. Dual 6,5"s and i think Youthman (Klipsch fanatic Youtube) even uses/used those.

I would highly advice that you copy paste your first post and make a new thread on Klipsch forum cause this AVF is Uk based forum and there is not much owners for Klipsch speakers, especially for those old models. Klipsch forum has US owners and i bet there is people who knows the RS-62II inside out and hopefully could locate the issue. Do keep us posted if you get some help!

AVMikeD

Novice Member
Something still doesn't seem right, maybe a connection issue or speaker fault as Gasp3621 suggested.

As for the settings, what models are the other speakers and what did Audyssey set the crossovers to? You would usually have all speakers set to small if you have a sub, even if you have big floorstanders as you want the sub handling the low stuff and taking the strain off the other speakers.

I agree, it still doesn't explain why they can't handle it! The front speakers are large RF-7IIs and the center is a large RC-64II. Audyssey set the crossover to "full" for the front, "40hz" for center and "80hz" for the surrounds.

And appreciate the advice as well, Gasp3621! It's just so odd since I first replaced all the components in the surround speakers as I also thought they must be the culprit. I will do just that and will let you know if they have any advice that solves it in case people here ever have a similar issue!

WozzaB

I agree, it still doesn't explain why they can't handle it! The front speakers are large RF-7IIs and the center is a large RC-64II. Audyssey set the crossover to "full" for the front, "40hz" for center and "80hz" for the surrounds.

And appreciate the advice as well, Gasp3621! It's just so odd since I first replaced all the components in the surround speakers as I also thought they must be the culprit. I will do just that and will let you know if they have any advice that solves it in case people here ever have a similar issue!

The RC-64II is 59hz-24khz, so the 40hz that Audyssey set would be too low, most people like to have the crossovers 10-20hz above the specs, so probably looking at 70hz or 80hz crossover for that centre.

Even with those RF-7II's I'd still set them to small and let the sub do the low stuff, their freq response is 30hz-24khz, so a 40hz or 50hz crossover would be normal practice.

See what info you can find from the Klipsch forum, will be interesting see what they say.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom