Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

audio - co-ax or optic?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by David Burns, Dec 8, 2004.

1. David Burns

David Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I'm wondering, - to connect my dvd player to my tv amp (built-in) is it better to use the co-axial connection or the optical connection?

Or to untrained ears are they pretty much the same?

:smashin:

Thanks,

David B.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    David,for a fuller answer,it may be worth doing a search here on this topic(or may be worth our while in making a sticky to hold some of the details).
    In theory,Co-axial is capable of delivering better quality,but at the level of TV amps/decoders,it really wont matter which you use.

FWIW,I use an optical cheapy line for my DVD to TV link,and good quality Co-ax digital interconnects for HCPC/DVD/Sky+ links to my processor.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    There is very little difference if the cable is short (less than 2m).

'Traditionally' it is said that co-ax is better for less than 2m and that optical is better for over 2m.

I personally use co-ax for all my digital connections with the exception of when I had my PC linked to my amp (which was 5m away) which I did use optical as when I compared it to a similar priced co-ax there was a noticable difference in quality