1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wilders, Nov 3, 2002.

1. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've basically read back over the last years posts on SPDIF out to an external amp, and am still a little confused.....

I have a Soundblaster 4.1 soundcard which has SPDIF socket which I can connect to my amp, but want good quality sound.

I am prepared to buy the MAudio 410 card but only if the quality is noticably better. Is there really a difference in sound quality? There seem to be so many differing opinions.....

I only will be using this for movies so is there really a difference in sound quality from the different spdif sockets?

Thanks in advance....

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,360
    Hi

I have just recently been in the same position as you.

All I have is a soundblaster live value sound card (probably a few models down from yours) with an s/pdif output.

I was quite prepared to buy a new soundcard but thought I would give it a go anyway, so I tried this out last week and was amazed first of all that it worked and also the quality of it.

I have it going into my Denon 3802 amp and could not tell the difference between the sound through the s/pdif output or the sound directly from my standalone DVD player to the amp.

Try it out and see what you think.

Cheers
    Greg