1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio but no video

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pligs76, Jun 3, 2002.

1. pligs76

pligs76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This question has surely been answered before, but my search has failed to find the answer:

Have just entered the world of surround sound and not fully dry behind my ears.

Have connected my 2 x SAT receivers, 1 DVD and 1 x VCR to a Sony 1070. Except the VCR all video connections are connected with S-video. The video of the VCR is connected with normal phono cable.

The connection from 1070 to TV is via S-video + phono (sound).

Now: how do I get video from the VCR? The sound is OK but there's no video, even when I connect the 1070 and TV with both a s-video and phono cable (video)

I am surely making a basic error here - but which?

Thanks for your help.
    Pligs76 (newbie)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the VCR will not output s-video you will have to conect it for composite video output. Is there a yellow phono socket somewhere on the back which you need to connect to the VCR phono input on the amp with a further phono connection from the amp (monitor out) to the TV.

Alternatively you can use a scart - three phono cable plugging the scart into the back of the VCR and the two audio and one video plugs into the amp.

The composite video and s-video outputs on the Sony are not on the same bus and if you are using both connections you will need to output them seperately.

3. pligs76

pligs76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VCR is only connected to the Receiver via phono cables (L+R+Video) in both directions. I have not connected the VCR directly to the TV. Neither TV nor VCR has Scart (Asian models)

Is it a setting on the receiver I need to program to enable output of both composite video signal and S-video signal? or am I on the wrong track here?

Thanks
    Pligs76

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The s-video output from the receiver to the television will only send video signals that are in s-video.

The VCR will not output an s-video signal so it needs to be connected seperately to the receiver by plugging the yellow phono cable into the VCR and VCR input on the receiver.

I think that you have done this already but you will need a further connection from the receiver to the TV to carry the video signal as it cannot travel down the s-video cable.

There should be a Monitor Out (yellow) socket on the Receiver which needs to be connected to a composite video input on the TV

5. pligs76

pligs76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian,

Know exactly what to do now.

Fantastic response time. Highly appreciated.

Cheers
    Pligs76
    :D

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your tv has 2x phono output, you could take all the audio from there to the amp with the exception of the digital audio sources.

This saves a lot of cabling, gives you the chance to have the best video signals and saves audio switching on your analogue audio sources.