Audio being sent through nonexistent centre channel speaker

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Bnfenix, Jun 14, 2015.

  1. Bnfenix

    Bnfenix
    Novice Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    4
    Location:
    Korea, North
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've tried more computer orientated forums for solving my problem but they couldn't so I figured I'd try here.

    I'll start with my setup, I have an aux cable running from my desktop to my t-amp which powers my speakers and an aux to rca cable from my desktop to the sub. I've set it up as 5.1 in windows since if it's set as stereo there's no output to the sub. As a result when I play some games (Xcom, Skyrim, San Andreas) there is in audio dialogue when I use the 5.1 setup. I get all the background sounds, music, etc, just no voice. I'm pretty sure its sending the dialogue audio to the non existent center channel speaker which results in no spoken audio. When I switch back to stereo, I get dialogue audio but no sound from the sub and it shortly shuts off.

    I've tried getting a y splitter and connecting both the sub and amp to it and just plugging it into the computer and setting it as stereo. Which resulted in only sound coming from the right speaker. The only option I have left is connecting the sub to the amp with speaker wire, which I'd rather not do since it will end up being messy. Is their anything else I can do?
     
  2. EndlessWaves

    EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Messages:
    13,932
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Location:
    Norfolk
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    Do you not get the ability to select which speakers are connected when you chose 5.1 in windows? You don't specify which version you're on but this is the screen I get in vista when I choose to configure the analogue playback device:
    configuration.jpg

    I've never tried it, but I'd suspect that should make the windows mixer take any 5.1 signals it receives from applications and redirect them to appropriate channels. Although it's possible it's just information for applications that some of them are ignoring.
     
  3. Bnfenix

    Bnfenix
    Novice Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    4
    Location:
    Korea, North
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have that same configuration menu in Windows 8.1. I've set it up the same way in your picture. Most programs seem to understand what speakers are selected and will play voice from the front left/right. I don't have any issues with Spotify, Mediamonkey, Netflix, VLC, and about 90% of the games I play. But it's annoying for the other 10% when I have to choose between having my sub or dialogue audio in games.
     

Share This Page

Loading...