Audio Authority component video switcher in UK?

Richard Harnwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been looking at this automatic component video switcher.

It doesn't have a remote control, but it looks like that shouldn't be needed if care is taken with the order sources are connected in. It appears to be designed to switch HDTV sources (as it mentions high bandwidth), takes 4 inputs, and also switches digital audio. It should be great for something like switching between:

Prog Scan DVD player
PS2 (yes - PS2 does do progressive out (1 game so far...))
XBOX

It seems to retail for about $180 - $190. I'd like to know if:

1. People think this looks like a good piece of kit.
2. Anyone knows if it retails in the UK.

Cheers,

Richard

it looks great !

dont know if there are any UK retailers though....keep the post updated if you get any more info..

i would love something like this... it also looks as if it does optical to co-ax convertion..

i think i spend most of my money an convertors and the like !

Key Digital will be bringing out the FLASH4 matrix switcher in mid December. It will have 4 inputs and 1 output, full ir or rs232 control.

Inputs will be for YPrPb, analgue audio l/r and digitalPCM.

UK retail set at £460 but expect dealers might give you a little off if you ask nice enough...

Gordon

Thanks for the updates guys.

I must admit though, the model I mentioned still looks like a clear winner to me, based on facilities for the price. The cheap JVC switcher requires me to get my lazy arse off the sofa to switch inputs, so that won't be happening :) and the other 2 are a bit above my price range. The Key Digital one sounds good but I don't think I could justify £400 for a video switcher (and I think I could live without IR/RS232 control by making use of the autosensing).

If I could just find a review of it that reassured me there was no noticeable picture degradation with the bandwidth from a Prog Scan DVD player, I'd be up for it (still can't find a UK supplier though....)

This is my first post,but since i have been benefitting from this site for the last few weeks, thought I better contribute back!

I looked into the video component switching requirement myself,with concerns about signal degradation, and support for PAL progressive signals and HDTV.

I know very high end AV amp/recievers can offer this service; but as it was only the Component viedo switching role I needed, i was keen on a more specific cost-sensitive solution.

The best-suited (for me) and rated product I found was one from a company called Inday ( www.inday.com ) with their RGB4X-R. This will switch with a frequency response up to a claimed 230MHZ (+/- 3db). I wont pretend to know what that really means; but the consensus in the forums on this point seems to be that with less than 100mhz, you risk signal degradataion on HDTV/progressive scan output (although how visible this will be is a debated point, and seems very dependant on display device). Incidentally, even the top Yamaha products, and Denon don't quite match this frequency response, and you have to spend > £800 with them to get over 50mhz rating on component output.

Here is a review of the product :

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/interfaces/switches/inday/inday.html

See here for related posts on OZ Digital site: http://www.dba.org.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1214

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=97845&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

I know there is another similarly priced product from Audio Authority which includes audio switching,but they don't seem as keen to publish the frequency response rating for their product.

ps. I have ordered the inday product direct from the company. they are happy to ship to the UK, and even deduct the cost of the US transformer. If it performs less well than expected (i.e any visible signal degradation on my plasma), then I will add a new post on the end of this thread.

hope this helps someone.

What a great first post!

Thanks very much for that - very helpful.
It would be great if you could do a follow-up post after you've tried out your new box (even if you are happy with it).

Now I need to decide if I really do need (digital) audio switched as well......

Cheers,

Richard

Hi,

new user here as well. I've owned the Panasonic 42" series4 for a couple of months and ran into the same problems as you guys from day 1 (well almost).

Currently running component DVD (good) and composite PS2 and sat receiver which is very nasty qualitywise.

I haven't got anything useful to add other than I've trawled the net for the last days and ended up with a handful of switches on my shortlist. All of them mentioned in this forum, so I'm pretty confident there isn't a "secret" cheaper-and-better box out there.

I like the Audio Authority 1154 for its ability to switch digital audio as well as video. Not so sure about the clever automatic switching however.

The other one worth having IMHO is the Inday one. Plus for remote control. Minus for not switching audio.

The cheap JVC one (111) is a pure passive design which I personally wouldn't like to have.

Btw, as far as I know, the main thing that these units need power for is the need to drive the relays. So if you're a handyman with the solder iron it is dead simple to make such a device yourself - very cheaply. I would think Maplins have everything you need (don't live in UK myself).

Tor Atle

Richard- firstly thanks. I bought the AA swicher after seeing this post. Its fantastic and I highly recommend it, no issues with image quality [i'm using Ixos cables] and I tested with Mario Sunshine in progressive scan more with my Panny 5 plasma.

Regards,
Neil.

Neil,

Great to hear it is working well for you. I'm broke at the moment, but I'm still very tempted to get one of these in a month or two, so I'd be very grateful if you could answer a few questions......

Do you make use of the automatic switching? If so, I'd be interested to know how well you think it performs (and what you switch between).

I believe Santa (girlfriend) may well be getting me a GameCube for Xmas, and I'm interested to hear that you're running one in progressive scan. Does this mean you have a US box or can a UK one do this?

Also, I'd be interested to know where you bought it from....

Cheers,

Richard

Originally posted by Richard Harnwell
Neil,

Great to hear it is working well for you. I'm broke at the moment, but I'm still very tempted to get one of these in a month or two, so I'd be very grateful if you could answer a few questions......

Do you make use of the automatic switching? If so, I'd be interested to know how well you think it performs (and what you switch between).

I believe Santa (girlfriend) may well be getting me a GameCube for Xmas, and I'm interested to hear that you're running one in progressive scan. Does this mean you have a US box or can a UK one do this?

Also, I'd be interested to know where you bought it from....

Cheers,

Richard

Yes, the switching is really good in my view. The box is hidden away so it has to work. I bought it from copperbox http://www.copperbox.com/

Yes my cube, xbox and PS-2 are all NTSC. [although I also have pal xbox and ps-2 also]. Xbox has progressive scan and HDTV modes with the US version also. If you are looking for console importers check, http://www.ncsx.com/ http://www.goblindirect.com and http://www.next-gen.co.uk/

CHeers,
Neil.

I thought I'd briefly wake this thread up just to say I've finally bought one!

I also got it from copperbox. They were very helpful (knocked $11 of the shipping fee for me), and I somehow managed to avoid cutoms/import duty charges! I've had it connected up (DVD, PS2, XBOX, GC) for a couple of days and it works like a dream, with no discernible loss in picture quality.

So all in all, another wholehearted recommendation.

Richard.

This thread seems to have had it. But I am now looking for a video switching solution that will remove the signal degredation that I am getting with my Denon 2802 reciever.

I am considering either the Inday or AA products. I need information on peoples impressions of these two products, and any other. I also need to know the voltage ratings, all these seem to be american products, was'nt the voltage levels a problem, or do they ship a 220v and a 110v versions ?

I would appreciate any help

There is no signal degredation with the AA switcher.

The box is DC powered so any switchable DC power adaptor will power it, although if you order direct from AA they will ship with a US DC adaptor.

I've had mine for a few months now and I heartily recommend it.

Regards,
Neil.

I emailed A.A. to get details of the power supply, so I could buy one in advance. Here's the details they supplied:

The power supply for the 1154 is 12 VDC, 1 Ampere. The plug is a 5.5mm DC type. Please note that the polarity is center negative, shield positive.

I had a suitable one lying around, and it works a treat.

As mentioned previously, I couldn't be more happy with this box. You really do just connect it up & forget it!

I originally posted some information on this thread concerning video switching and details of the Inday product.

I bought the INDAY product, and have had no problems with it switching component video signals for Xbox, DVD (progressive Philips 963SA), TV and Satellite signals (via RS Scart-Component convertor) and ont to an Iscan Pro to my 433MX Pioneer.

I have not observed any signal degradation, although there is a need to pair up with high quality component leads because of the extra connections/cable run with a switcher layout . I use Supra AV cables.

Regards the power supply, the switcher takes a DC signal (12V I think). I am using a standard universal adaptor (12V - 300ma.. i think for about £14 from Maplin) rather than a step-up US-UK transformer to make the PSU that came with it work.

The IR signal happily switches as part of the remote macro I have programmed into my IPAC/PDA-WIN remote.

another option to the AA device. depends if you can use the integrated audio switching.

daveW

Thanks for the update.

Any one tried the Audio switching, or are you just using the Video switching. Is that working fine ?

Originally posted by naturally
Thanks for the update.

Any one tried the Audio switching, or are you just using the Video switching. Is that working fine ?

I switch the audio & video on the A.A. box. My connections are:

DVD: Component Video + digital optical audio
GameCube: Component Video + Analogue stereo audio
Xbox: Component Video + digital optical audio
PS2: Component Video + digital optical audio

Output: Component Video + digital optical & analogue stereo audio

The instructions advise connecting up any available analogue feeds even if only using digital, but I haven't bothered. The box happily switches between the audio sources.

That does look interesting, and I think I may have been put off buying my AA switch If I'd have seen that comparison first.

Having said that, I can't see any degradation with Prog. San DVD or (up to) 720P from games consoles. Also, for me it is really useful that the AA unit switches digital (opt & coax) & analogue audio.

If you don't need audio switching though, that Inday box looks like a winner!

i posted on this subject when i bought an Inday switcher last year.

MY Inday switcher is now available if anybody wants it. I recently bought a Denon 3803, which i now use for my video component switching.

The Inday switcher worked perfectly whilst it was in use, and the remote IR sensor is very sensitive and can be taught easily for universal remote macros.

Let me know if anybody wants to buy it. £75.. if they pick up (london). or £100 inc pp (UK, i am lazy.)

cheers

daveW

Dave,

If this is still available I'll take it of your hands for £90 inc P&P (it's £11 via parcel2go and they collect it from you)

I was planning on buying an AA when in the states in Jan, but this would suit me fine.

If it's still available and the price is ok, PM me your details for payment. ( I can do cheque, paypal or transfer if you like)

Merry Xmas

Originally posted by Richard Harnwell
That does look interesting, and I think I may have been put off buying my AA switch If I'd have seen that comparison first.

Having said that, I can't see any degradation with Prog. San DVD or (up to) 720P from games consoles. Also, for me it is really useful that the AA unit switches digital (opt & coax) & analogue audio.

If you don't need audio switching though, that Inday box looks like a winner!

lol doesnt it make you a little suspicious thats its Indaay's test;)

I bought DaveW's inday, and fitted it today.

It's replaced my amp as a switching control as I have too many sources for the amp to switch.

Result....

A noticeable increase in PQ on all sources

Colours are correct on NTL when they had a red push problem before.

Looks like the Amp was introducing problems, attenuating the signal and generally getting in the way.

After a bit of digging, I found my amp's component switching is only rated to 30MHz at -3dB :thumbsdow less than 20% of the Inday's bandwidth!

So I can add a recommendation for the Inday if you don't need audio switching.

and cheers Dave :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom