• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

audio analogue gear...any good?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi all,
have been looking at some of audio analogues gear....the primo amps in particular as an alternative to cyrus as they are similiar sized.
the idea was to incoperate this into my current set up to power the fronts and my cyrus cd6.
certainly look the part and are a good price at around 500 for 70 watts and 750 for a 100 watts.
theres a dealer a hour away who rates them but i did'nt have time for a demo when i nipped in yesterday.
anyway thought i dig about on here for input before prehaps trying a demo.
any thoughts anyone?

harv

No experience of the 1/2 width stuff. I did enjoy my time with Maestro MKii cd player. Built like a tank, very sweet and refined sound. Found the upsampling a bit gimmicky, as I tended to prefer the sound without upsampling. Kept it for a few months before moving it on. Definitely worth trying IMO. A brand I would happily try again. Try speaking to UKD the distributors. Never spoken to them myself have seen many speak about their honesty and helpfulness. They have some bargins on their site too;)

Sofa1

hi all,
have been looking at some of audio analogues gear....the primo amps in particular as an alternative to cyrus as they are similiar sized.
the idea was to incoperate this into my current set up to power the fronts and my cyrus cd6.
certainly look the part and are a good price at around 500 for 70 watts and 750 for a 100 watts.
theres a dealer a hour away who rates them but i did'nt have time for a demo when i nipped in yesterday.
anyway thought i dig about on here for input before prehaps trying a demo.
any thoughts anyone?

Primo amp is just great! it has very musical, fluid sound, smooth but not slow, it is realy bargain of its time. spent more than one year with amp, and for SS unit, it is one of the best i've heard for anywhere near its price. will buy Primo over Cyrus any day!later i bought tube amp, and will never go back to SS but that's another story....

but, can't say the same for Primo CD. it is one one of the worst sounding CD player i've heard. it is sloooow sounding unit, dark, distant, and best to avoid. i checked it together with Primo amp in my home, and i can tell you, don't fall for magazine stories 'they're blend together very well', blah, blah...those stories are rubish. visualy they're perfect match, but sonically, no way.

i don't like Cyrus, but I think Primo amp and CD6 can be a very good combination, but, check if you can.

hope it helps.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
this is the model i was looking at .......
http://www.audioanalogue.net/eng/primoamp.php
was looking at the 70 watt one as it retails at around £495,which considering the build quality of the amp seems a bargin...
the primo cento was the one i had a quick look at in the shop and was a 100Ws a channel model at £750 i think.
...shame if the cd player turns out to be a bit of a duffer as if i went down this route,a matching player might be on the list....getting the cyrus cd 6s was a bit of a mixed blessing....fantastic cd play improvement over my denon 2900 but getting a suitable amp to match at the right price is being a right pain...shame the primo did'nt come in black as well though the aluminium finish is a quality job.
had settled on a cyrus 6 or 8vs when one came along in brushed black....now having doubts about the thermal cut out, as this one guy i know curses this with a venom.......though i have to say i dont play my stuff loud as i've 2 little uns normally asleep at the time.
....which is another thing, as the two cyrus amps have the same pre amp components,am i going to need 80Ws over 40?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom